Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL Misfire & Hard start when warm!

markER717

Un-Donated Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 3.8L VN Calais S1
I own a VL SL RB30E and I am currently having a few issues with my project car that I would like to get sorted as it is due to be on the road shortly. The car is a bit slow to crank over initial, I am starting with a jump pack on as the battery is shot from sitting around to long. Once the car reaches operating temp (1/2 on the gauge) If I turn it off, it will not start. It will crank VERY slowly and sometimes just clicking like the battery is flat, and it only does this when hot/warm(I was thinking possibly starter? but I don't understand why this would only be a problem when hot). If anyone could help I would appreciate it greatly!

I have replaced a few things and I have a couple of ideas on what it may be they are:
  • Replaced CAS and rewired plug, so I can rule that out.
  • Replaced Coolant Temp Sensor so thats out too.
  • Fuel is a bit old, it has been sitting for 6-9 months or so. There is only 1/8th left in the tanks o I plan on topping it up with premium and some octane booster to fix this, possibly replace fuel filter too.
  • As I mentioned earlier, starter motor, im not sure why this is only a problem when hot through.
  • AFM as I have heard of this causing similar problems to this.

Any other ideas guys? and which would most likely be the problem?

pricey3682

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 VL Calais
Could be a faulty fuel pressure regulator if you're having trouble starting it when warm

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
Get another battery for starters this will fix ur starting problems and the fuel sounds like its off. So get some fresh stuff.
Operating temp is no where near half. Mine hits half when I'm boosting up a long steep hill here on the coast range about 800 meters straight with a steep incline. That's the only reason mine hits half. Ur normal temp should be around the first to second line

markER717

Un-Donated Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 3.8L VN Calais S1
Yeah I plan to get another battery and I am pumping the fuel out tonight, I just don't want to get another battery until the car is all ready to go so it doesn't screw up again from not starting for so long. But with the jump pack on I wouldn't have thourght a shitty battery would matter. Its not but its what I have my thermo fans set to engauge at so thats why I refered to it as that, eitherway it shouldn't be missing at that.. :/

jatsvl

NEEDS MORE POWER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl exec wagon
a couple of suggestions,
check all earth contacts.
and check your oil pressure, if the pump is failing it can make the engine hard to start when hot, like the engine is seizing, worst case senario but well worth checking.