Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

windscreen rust etc

harry3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 6cyl
unwanted VLs are now being dumped, was looking at a couple for sale siezed by the local council, the bodies had lasted surprisingly well apart from the dreaded rust around the windscreen
seems holden left the area where the windscreen is glued on as bare metal so rust can start there and spread to the metal nearby thats painted, the paint hides the rust for a while
eventually proper repairs will need metal welded in and can cost a fortune, check for water leaks under the dash inside, the ECU and electics dont like getting wet, a plastic bag over the ECU probably would be a good idea

have seen severe rust at the bottom of a wagon back window also

has anyone here got a VL with the V8? seem to be very few V8s around, did they use a trimatic on it? ( traumatic)

my spare parts VL wagon has springs painted yellow orange, who made these?
also the panhard rod is bent as if someone tied a tow rope to it
on the subject of panhard rods, check the chassis attachment point for it as the welding has been known to fail, and this can cause the car to go out of control when cornering

BTW the VL has 2 towing attachment points in the front suspension for a tow rope but none it seems, at the back

coolngroovy

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY06 VZ Calais
replacement lower front & rear windscreen panels are availiable from rare spares. They are reasonably priced, around $180 delivered to your door. Any one with basic welding & grinding skills should be able to fit them. There are a few tricks to getting them right, like lining up the wiper pivot points, & the body lines.Also, make sure of painting the underside of the new panel before final fitting!

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
i have the V8 and can vouch for the reasons the trimatic is dubbed the traumatic. Horrible box, not enough gears so loves the go juice and doesnt take much of a hard time before it starts to slip and fail.

The V8s are reasonably rare - they arent worth any more because of that though. they were a carby fed 4.9 litre packing only a mild torque increase over the more common and popular turbo. Given the amount of fuel they use the extra lift off is pretty uninviting.
Would swap for an injected V8 anyday (a fairly simple conversion)

VRFURY

Just Nic
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II Berlina International Sportswagon
i just got my windscreen rust cut out cost me $750 :cry:

CALAIS 6

snowballing
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz exec
i ve seen stacks of VL V8's on ebay last month or so and there are a few around where i live. :w00t:

Jules86

The Cream Machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL(VeryLow) Commodore Exec.
vlfury said:
i just got my windscreen rust cut out cost me $750 :cry:
Is that only the front windscreen?

Had a look at mine today, pop the bonnet and there is surface rust in the water catching area, around the corners of my windshield, not visible on the back but it's there if ya dig into it :( Hole in my spare wheel tyre well.

It's always in the weather though mum doesn't want her 83 van outside cuz it leaks oil and the oil tray is in the garage, i got to leave mine outside day and night no leaks just RUST. It's bullshit

Should i get the rust fixed or leave it for the next owner? Prob a year away!

coolngroovy

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY06 VZ Calais
$750 to repair the rust in the front screen. What did they do?, weld on a new turret?

VRFURY

Just Nic
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II Berlina International Sportswagon
well mine was fine about 4 months ago then all of a sudden water was poring in on my foot and cutting out all the power in my car i roke down in the middle of a round about

Stewart1000

work done by ME
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VL twin turbo. VN5L. old jeep, **** mondeo.
yeah $750 sounds a lot but i dont know what had to be done so it could have been decent. i hope mine isnt too bad