Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL Turbo forward facing plenum with no AAC?

shadow6ix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT LS1 Clubsport
Hey all,
So I have a VL hi comp turbo with a custom forward facing plenum and was wondering if having no aac valve would have any affect on the engine?
it starts well and runs well just trying to eliminate a few issues (like very bad fuel economy).
The wires for the aac and anything else on the plenum are just disconnected.

Thanks for any help

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
Not sure if this'll help, can't find much info, plus mine's the stock plenum so I can't give my 2 cents:

Linky Dink

Try PM'ing Detox_Nath83, he's good with the VLT's, also our mate Lazza has a forward facing plenum on his Calais but I don't think he uses the forums much.

shadow6ix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT LS1 Clubsport
Thanks for that

I couldnt find much info myself just thought id see if anyone had a setup like mine. Got a gregorys manual on its way so i'll have a better understanding on whats been disconnected. Its running real rich at the moment(blackens new plugs on 10 minutes) but no fault codes on the ecu, I tested the afm and the volts are in spec. CTS and cts plug looks ok. Im tipping the o2 sensor as I cant get the the leds to flash on ecu, I think thats a sign of the O2 sensor?!?

Lazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
vlct & ve ssv sportwagon
hey mate i have a forward facing plenum on my vlct and the idle gear(aac) on the back is still there but doesnt do anything as i have an XF throttle body to control the idle....

if ur still running the stock throttle body u will need the aac there..

post a pic of ur setup...

Larry

shadow6ix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT LS1 Clubsport
Hey Lazza,

Yeah it has none of the idle gear at all and running standard TB
Should I go for a XF throttle body perhaps?

Picked this beast up cheap for a project, has no rust!!
This is my set up

T70 Turbo(ebay one) top mount but have a GT35 just needs rebuilding then its going on.
FMIC, forward facing plenum
VLT Injectors, VLT ECU, rising rate fuel regulator
45mm turbo smart hypergate wastegate - screamer pipe. Running 6 psi till my boost controller turns up!!!
5spd with H/D cusion button clutch, spooled standard diff (see how long it lasts lol)

Great fun to drive at the moment will be interesting to see how it goes on around 10-12psi.

2012-10-20_18-12-37_414.jpg2012-12-29_11-52-58_566.jpg2012-12-29_11-52-40_672.jpg2012-12-29_11-53-24_280.jpg2012-12-29_11-53-38_140.jpg

Lazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
vlct & ve ssv sportwagon
hey mate, the setup looks good... u will need the xf throttle body and that should fix ya problem, i had to make make a bracket to fit the vl TPS but i drove my calais for weeks with it disconnected and ran fine... send me a pm if u need help with anything mate

Larry

shadow6ix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT LS1 Clubsport
Cheers mate,

What exactly does the aac valve do?
Do you think my set up will will handle 12 psi?
Forgot to say I have a 3'' turbo back exhaust and hi flow cat

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
Cheers mate,

What exactly does the aac valve do?
Do you think my set up will will handle 12 psi?
Forgot to say I have a 3'' turbo back exhaust and hi flow cat

The engine might but the question is, will the tranny and diff handle it lol. The AAC is to stabalize the engine idle when it's cold, under load etc I think.

shadow6ix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT LS1 Clubsport
The engine might but the question is, will the tranny and diff handle it lol. The AAC is to stabalize the engine idle when it's cold, under load etc I think.
That is the question lol. Oh well if I break it its just gonna give me the exuse to buy a turbo box/diff. Its only gonna get driven once
a week at the most but will have to upgrade the breaks asap lol.
87rb are you running a high comp? If so how much boost?

Lazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
vlct & ve ssv sportwagon
Yeah should handle 12psi pretty easily but will be sorta on the limits fuel wise... The n/a 5 speed will survive if u don't don't do clutch dumps etc, I'm running a n/a 5 speed but its just about had it tho