Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fixin da front of my vl step by step *pics*

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
Day 1:

Hi guys I'll try and go into as much detail as possible without being too technical. After I got new top front bumper moulds and new headlights and indicators,the car was taken to a mates place where we proceeded to remove:
*Front bar
*top moulds (bumper strips)
*grill
*headlights
*nosecone

We then proceeded to rub back the damaged area on the nosecone to bare metal using a power sander. Then mixed the filler and hardner and put a small layer into the wound, using like a special type of grater we waited for the filler to reach a cheese like consistancy and removed the excess. Waited for it to harden and sanded a little. then repeated the process 4 more times until the dent was nearly gone. at that point I had to leave so I'm guessing its had the final layers of filler and has been sanded back. on day 2 we will rub back the bumper and grill and start to undercoat all of the above.

p.s. when I say "we" I mean he lol

Last edited:

harry3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 6cyl
be careful with the bumper bar top trim as if the car has been left out in the sun a lot, it will be very brittle and will break easily

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
this is the car that had a truck back into it isn't it? looks like you did a good rub back.

ucwepn

Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
yep thats the one bangers we are about to head down and get cracking on it again, the moulds removed fairly easily 1 of them was silastic'd on, we have brand new ones to replace them with.

ucwepn

Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
DAY 2:

Ok today we finished filling the dent and finishing it off, then proceeded to trial fit the nosecone and grill and adjust the grill brackets so the grill sits right. At the same time started to sand back the front bar to get it ready for undercoating, until the power sander had a death and we had to stop.

Last edited:

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
is the rest of the car the original paint? cos when i had the front of mine fixed they didn't match it up perfect as the original is acrylic and new paint is two pack. Can you still buy acrylic paint for cars?

ucwepn

Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
Yes you can buy acrylic paint for cars but there is more preperation and work involved than with using 2 pack. Yes apart from the drivers side guard which has been bogged and painted (previous owner) the rest of the car is acrylic that is why we are going to spray the whole car in marinello red 2 pack 1 panel at a time until its done. (prolly take us months and months.) I need to drive my car in the meantime tho.

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
thats fair enough. it'll look good when done. nice ferrari red.

ucwepn

Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
Hmmm dramas my mate has gone missing and my car is still locked in his garage, someone has his phone so its a bit of a worry. ( Irang it about 50 times no answer, then some guy answers and says nah mate wrong number, and then switched it off and its still off. been missing for around 48 hours so I rang the jacks and they said because i'm not a family member I can't file a report. Damn I'm worried about him but also my car. Cop said I will need a court order to get it out of his garage if he doesn't come back.

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
omg, the worst thing that could happn...

hope ur mates alright and returns soon and devo bout the car getn lookd up