Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to adjust vl speedo help please

mrgasjet

Reaction score
Members Ride
black vl turbo. vr calais 5ltr
So today I took my cluster out to swap the housing as I had a unbroken one sitting in the garage as I took speedo out I hit the spring/ coil bending it. so I took Apart and got another speedo that I had and got that coil on but now it reads fine untill I hit 60km a few apps on my phone to show what speed I'm doing as I get past 60kms or faster this is what I worked out

20km app says 20km
30,40,50 app says the same
60km app says 62km
70km app says 73km
80km app says 85km
90km app says 96km
100km app says 108km
I've check on 3 apps and drove my other car and the apps are pretty spot on
Is this coil for the needle able to adjust I don't wanna make things worse anyone have any info?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Take the needle off and put it back on a bit anti clockwise so that it doesn't move as far as it did before. EG, say 0 is at 8 o'clock, put the needle so it points a couple of degrees before 8 o'clock. When the speedo drive spins, the spring will hold the needle a touch slower.

mrgasjet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey man thanks I have tried moving the needle the problem is I'm going faster then what the speedo says so if I put it more backwards it will get worse so my speedo says 100 but I'm really doing 108 but if it says I'm doing 50 I'm really doing 50

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Sorry, move the needle forward.

mrgasjet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Tried that aswell if I move it forward it stops on 10km and not on 0 then when I'm doing 30 I'm really doing 38 I'm stumped no clue I'm thinking if adjusting the spring untill it's perfect

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Hmmm....I've always moved the needle to get mine right after I have pulled them apart.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
needs to be calibrated properly just moving the pointer will make a non percentage adjustment so a move of say 5km up top will also be 5km down low but as u see its not out that far down low so will be incorrect, needs to be calibrated by magnetism and the spring ect

mrgasjet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the info man. Yer I must of messed up something where can I get this done? Is it costly can I do it myself? Thanks again

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
i can do it i work with automotive instruments ect, its not really cheap and best to service the speedo at the same time since u have to totally dismantle it to magnetize the magnet then get back together and calibrate on bench to set ratio or if u know its got a different gearbox or tyre size and exactly how far out it is then we can calibrate it to suit, we usually rather have the vehicle for changing the calibration (outside set ratio) so we get it right for the vehicle but we can change it based on what u tell us, if u want any pricing just PM me