Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL commodore suspension question

broadtail

broadtail
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Executive
Hi to all, I'm new to this and I'm a VL commodore owner with a couple of questions to throw in the ring for comment -- I'm broadtail and would like to know 1] my vl has 15" wheels and I would like to know if vp commodore mags, also 15" would fit my vl. 2] my son inlaw and friends gave this vl a bit of a ruff time, and I have taken over the car and would like to fix it up some-what as I had to sell my Ford to help my wife's cancer treatment, don't laugh yes a Ford, but I have a certain respect for both cars as they both have their good and bad sides, mind you its the fist time I've owned a holden and must admit the vl is more than I expected and economical, anyway I want to fix a suspension alignment problem, which apparently requires a new set of struts, which, I have had trouble finding undamaged or bent sets, anyone out-there know if struts from any other model commodore can? be used in a vl. would appreciate any help cheers broadtail

mag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 1 Acclaim 2003
broadtail said:
Hi to all, I'm new to this and I'm a VL commodore owner with a couple of questions to throw in the ring for comment -- I'm broadtail and would like to know 1] my vl has 15" wheels and I would like to know if vp commodore mags, also 15" would fit my vl. 2] my son inlaw and friends gave this vl a bit of a ruff time, and I have taken over the car and would like to fix it up some-what as I had to sell my Ford to help my wife's cancer treatment, don't laugh yes a Ford, but I have a certain respect for both cars as they both have their good and bad sides, mind you its the fist time I've owned a holden and must admit the vl is more than I expected and economical, anyway I want to fix a suspension alignment problem, which apparently requires a new set of struts, which, I have had trouble finding undamaged or bent sets, anyone out-there know if struts from any other model commodore can? be used in a vl. would appreciate any help cheers broadtail

Not sure on that 1, but I know the springs from VB-VP are the same..

broadtail

broadtail
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Executive
thanks Mag, I believe that there's various componants that were used but as I stated my first holden , so I've a lot to learn. broadtail51

Last edited:

kalais6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais Turbo
The VP rims will definately fit as all Commodores share same bolt pattern etc so that wont be a worry. Buying new struts might not be as expensive as you think either so price em up.

broadtail

broadtail
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Executive
thanks kalais6, was told by GMH agent struts no longer available. broadtail51

Last edited:

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Front or rears, You should be able to get them new from a tyre/mechanical, or suspension place for rather cheap.

If all else fails, the site shop may be able to help, or ebay if your desperate.

I'll give you the word of advice in saying don't go to Holden for parts, they charge an arm and a leg, as good as genuine is, its not worth the cost sometimes. If its an engine component, try Nissan aswell when getting quotes.

Repco are good too.

broadtail

broadtail
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Executive
many thanks Bax, I've actually learnt that gmh is last on my list unless no alternative.

broadtail

broadtail
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Executive
Hey Guys , I still have had no answer on whether the strut assembly [ not the inserts ]from previous commodore models or after vl will fit a vl commodore as the assemblies are not being sold any longer and most wreckers have damaged ones , any Help is appreciated

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
I honestly couldn't tell you, keep an eye out on here and calaisturbo.com.au

Somebody would have secondhand shocks for sure, with the amount of people that lower their cars. I had some a few weeks back but I binned them instantly.