Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Slips out of gear.

Snowfox

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore SL
Occasionally over the last week my VL has been slipping out of 1st gear after a little acceleration, especially after the car comes to a complete stop. At one stage I had to take off in 2nd. The gearbox itself is stock and has done (as far as I know) 250 000kms. Its in anyway for a service/tune in the near future, just wondering what this might be ?? Cheers.

sully

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL executive
check the oil levels...

hey man make sure the oil is full to the appropriate mark, i had that problem too if you let it get worse, (a), you will drop the gears more and more, and (b) if you do it under acceleration you will rape the gearbox :)

hope this is helpfull

risky8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Caprice 304 v8
For what its worth get a good service centre to check out (is the oil black) or smells burnt it may just need a simple adjustment but these jap boxes are not cheap to rebuild and if that be the case get them to sharpen up 4th gear you will be surprised at the difference
cheers

Swordsy

mmmm beer....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VUII Maloo R8 - HX Tonner - XJR1200 - XR450R
Depends if its a manual or an auto.
Auto i'd say low oil, especially going round corners etc
Manual, most likely needs new bearings/rebuild/replacement

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
If its a manual then it could be either worn bearings or something in the selectors like a broken spring or selector fork. If its an auto it could be low on trans fluid or the filter could be blocked or the bands need adjusting.