Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

crank angle sensor?

harry3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 6cyl
my VL wont start and Ive been told its the following: its the crank angle sensor, a common problem, its inside the distributor and too difficult for me to replace

does this sound right? I thought it was down near the crankshaft

any comments appreciated, cant find mt workshop manual at the moment either
could I get a new sensor at an accessories place or only a holden dealer, how difficult is it to fit?:bow:

mag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 1 Acclaim 2003
my VL wont start and Ive been told its the following: its the crank angle sensor, a common problem, its inside the distributor and too difficult for me to replace

does this sound right? I thought it was down near the crankshaft

any comments appreciated, cant find mt workshop manual at the moment either
could I get a new sensor at an accessories place or only a holden dealer, how difficult is it to fit?:bow:

Make a few calls there about the place and don't see why you can't do it ur self as many novice's can!

Its inside the distributor just find that workshop manual:p

Do you have any spark??

Attachments

• CrankAngleSensorVL.gif
    CrankAngleSensorVL.gif
    8.2 KB · Views: 437

mag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 1 Acclaim 2003
Here too Harry $80 it says

Last edited:

harry3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 6cyl
the rotating wheel with the slots in it for the light to shine thru is very thin and Ive been told is easy to bend
has anyone here actually done this job?

does a new wheel come with the sensor?

should I undo the 2 bolts holding the top part of the LEDs to make it easier to get the disc off

if I do the job with the dizzy still on the engine, will any adjustment of the timing be needed?

thanks for all help, my workshop manual says very little about the job

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
just go to an autoelec shop and exchange it only cost $100

exchange the whole dizzy

harry3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 6cyl
a new crank angle sensor often comes with a shaft bearing and electrical plug and I ws quoted $150 and $200 from 2 places, a lot more that the $90 from IOL

an reconditioned dizzy with new sensor and bearing was $ 285 exchange

I finished up getting an autoelectrician to come and fit an exch dizzy for $320 since I wasnt totally sure it was the problem and my eyes are too poor to use a timing light

general advice was the main electrical plug to tne dizzy usually corrodes, this often causing failure of the sensor, often corrosion is so bad that a new plug is needed, so the plug often comes with the new sensor just in case

mine wasnt corroded at all and needed no attention, but I urge all 6 cyl owners to remove the plug and attend to any corrosion, also make sure plug cover is stopping any water from getting in

also the rotating wheel in the dizzy is easily bent and must be marked to stop it going back the wrong way round as it wont work properly
cheapest way would have been a dizzy from a wrecker and hope for the best

racv bloke said engine very good usually, the sensor being the only thing that goes wrong, along with the temp sensor connection for the ECU occasionally

autoelec bloke said the VL was the most reliable holden ever made, because holden got the engine and auto trans from nissan, OUCH ! :wax:

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
i just went to the autolec shop and got it for 100 i think you got riped off

warney

did you say bukakki party
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL skid car what else are they built to do
i just went to the autolec shop and got it for 100 i think you got riped off

wheres your auto elec shop if ya dont mind me asking ????

SeaComms

Reaction score
My daughters car I think has same problem. runs well for me, she drives it and it just stops in the middle of the road and wont restart! I get out there to have look and if fires up fine.....

Today it did the same, I drove it home as usual while she drove my car, got 100 metres from home and it stopped dead on me. Have been checking the diagnostics codes every time it fails and it keeps coming up with the crank angle sensor failure. Found one on ebay today for $70 + $7 freight, brand new. He has 5 of them, as of tonight (8th May).

Still a lot of money to spend if its not the problem tho.....

Anyone have an electronic copy of the manual? mine has bout 50 pages missing out of the middle - of course its the section covering the damn distributor...

EDIT: Spoke to my brother (mechanic, but 1200 km away..) he said to steer clear of the ebay ones as they are inferior quality, and if they work, they dont usually last long. So I bit the bullet and bought a kit from Repco, cost me $120 (trade price - normally $169.99). But it came with the bearing and a new plug for the cable. Installed it all this arvo, the old bearing was crapped out, exactly as they warned it might (red dried up grease powder and sand like granuals everywhere and the bearing turns like its full of sand). So replaced them all, fired up straight away, have done bout 20km and it hasnt stalled again yet.

Last edited: