Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

running rough

braks

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl commodore berlina
hey everyone,
my baby seems to be running rich and really rough. when i put her in gear she just seems to die in the ass. think there is a prob wit oxygen sensior coz i unpluged it, started the car and pluged it back in and she ran fine for about 5 min. but almost certain this is not the main cause.
i know **** all about cars but i love her and dont have the money to spent hundreads of $$$ to find out the prob then extra to fix.
if anyone has any suggestions of what i can try to narrow the prob please let me know.

J_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 and VS V8 Statesman
Apparently the VL's had a problem with the fuel return line going back to the fuel tank clogging up and causing excessive fuel pressure and consequently putting too much fuel into the engine. Maybe you could pull off the fuel return line and try to blow down it and see if its blocked(do so at your own risk), or pay to get a fuel pressure test done (shouldnt be more than about 50 bucks).

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
If its not a fuel problem, crank or oxygen sensor, could be timing or a connection problem.. I'm new to VL's myself but its just my brainstorm thoughts about ur issue..

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Make sure the clamps on the AFM are tight, also when its running, wiggle the plug on the AFM and see if the idle changes.

whistle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais Turbo
Heres a few things to try..

Check the codes on the computer (passenger side kick panel)

CODES ARE:
11 Crank angle sensor circuit
12 Air flow meter circuit
13 coolant temperature sensor circuit
14 Vehicle speed sensor circuit
21 ignition signal circuit
23 throttle switch circuit
24 neutral switch circuit
31 satisfactory operation (non air conditioned models) air conditioner circuit (air conditioned models)
32 starter signal circuit
34 detonation sensor circuit (turbo models)
44 satisfactory operation (air conditioned models)

AIRFLOW METER....Get the car up to operating temperature. Then on your air flow meter you will have 6 wires (numbered 1 to 6).
Using a multi meter connect the red wire to wire No.6 on the air flow meter and the black wire to earth, this should give you a voltage.
Turn the screw on the side of the air flow meter so the voltage reads 3.61volts.
(If you cant get it to read 3.61v replace the AFM)

Also try:
Crank angle sensor - Wiggle the plug if the car turns off or runs rough check the plug/connection if ok then replace sensor.

O2 sensor - remove it and give it a clean (can get **** in it) replace if necessary

Coolant temp sensor (the one with an injector type plug)

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Heres a few things to try..

Check the codes on the computer (passenger side kick panel)

CODES ARE:
11 Crank angle sensor circuit
12 Air flow meter circuit
13 coolant temperature sensor circuit
14 Vehicle speed sensor circuit
21 ignition signal circuit
23 throttle switch circuit
24 neutral switch circuit
31 satisfactory operation (non air conditioned models) air conditioner circuit (air conditioned models)
32 starter signal circuit
34 detonation sensor circuit (turbo models)
44 satisfactory operation (air conditioned models)

AIRFLOW METER....Get the car up to operating temperature. Then on your air flow meter you will have 6 wires (numbered 1 to 6).
Using a multi meter connect the red wire to wire No.6 on the air flow meter and the black wire to earth, this should give you a voltage.
Turn the screw on the side of the air flow meter so the voltage reads 3.61volts.
(If you cant get it to read 3.61v replace the AFM)

Also try:
Crank angle sensor - Wiggle the plug if the car turns off or runs rough check the plug/connection if ok then replace sensor.

O2 sensor - remove it and give it a clean (can get **** in it) replace if necessary

Coolant temp sensor (the one with an injector type plug)

Cheers, ill be checking this out in the morning!