Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Putting in new diff oil and replacing diff gasket ?

gemini

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
Hey guys the diff on the VL has tons of leaks on it so i think i need to replace the gasket.

Ive never replace diff oil before so whats the best non messy way of doing it ?

EDIT: obviously never changed the diff gasket too.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
The thing I found wrong on it, which im not sure if im correct, but wont using kero 4 cleaning cause contamination?

Water would be best?

harry3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 6cyl
normally the diff oil needs to be sucked out with a syringe or sludge pump, as unlike earlier holdens, you cant drain it by removing a bottom bolt, will help to do after a run as the oil will be warm

probably should be changed about every 10 years as maybe the additives in it eventually get worn out

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
normally the diff oil needs to be sucked out with a syringe or sludge pump, as unlike earlier holdens, you cant drain it by removing a bottom bolt, will help to do after a run as the oil will be warm

probably should be changed about every 10 years as maybe the additives in it eventually get worn out

Or, as said in the guide, you can undo all but the top two bolts, undo them 3/4 of the way out and then crack the seal on the diff with a screw-driver. The oil will then drain out and the last two bolts can be removed :)

Much faster/easier way than trying to manouver any kind of pump under there

Dose Pipe

Reaction score
At the time of this post, under your mothers bed w
Members Ride
It's quicker then your mothers VN
The thing I found wrong on it, which im not sure if im correct, but wont using kero 4 cleaning cause contamination?

Water would be best?

yeh use water while ur there pour some into the intake manifold helps build compression

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
Water and oil don't go 2gether.....so don't use water. If ur just changing the oil and the gasket, remove all the back plate bolts, chuck a bucket or sumfin under the diff, use a screwdriver to lever the backplate off....slowly first so it don't come gushing out and all over u, use a razorblade or sumfin similar to clean the old gasket off, do it for the housing and the backplate, either get a gasket or use some silicone based gasket gear in a tube, wipe it all around putting a fair bit on both the housing and the backplate...then put them 2gether and bolt them up. Wait a few minutes then chuck the oil in and away ya go. I think ya might have to wait for the silicone gasket stuff to dry a bit b4 ya put oil in, but when we did it (when we just chucked the new diff in), we wanted to try it out, so we went onto a 'private' block of land and laid a skid....it never leaked...altho it was out within a week coz it needed replacing....nothing to do with the oil tho :p.

harry3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 6cyl
the plastic suction tube on my syringe had to be lengthened to let it reach to the bottom of the housing and suck out all the oil
its a good idea to check the rear axle breather which can become clogged with mud causing many oil leaks

vl_sleeper

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl executive
easiest way is to undo all the bolts, split the cover off, clean the diff housing and cover plate, use either the blue hi-temp gasket goo or gasket, then use 80-120w lim-slip diff oil,(the same used in falcons, and its bluey-green in colour) the best stuff to use. be careful when pouring as to not knock the wires to fuel pump.