Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vl timing belt?

starfire vc

now on 10 pound
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL turbo, RB30ET VH wagon, 64 EH in the build.
ok the vl 's been goin reall bad . no fault codes .... just running bad! hard to start and rough as guts at idle.so i took the timing belt cover off and find the belt is loose as anything.soooo iam assuming it may of a jumped a tooth,and seeing its the origonal belt i went out and bought a newie to put on...ive got it all apart got the old belt off and broke my harmonic balancer in the proccess:bang:... so replacing the belt do i just go off the 2 yellow marks that are on the belt, align those with the marks on both the cam and crank, align crank pulley with mark on oil pump housing and all shud be sweet, yeah..?:thumbsup:

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Did u get a new balancer is well? the belt is only good for 100k, above 100k is where the harmonic balancer comes in.. the belt and balancer should be about $150 for both...

I dont have the info yet mate sorry, but i will oneday soon, im sure someone here does?

harry3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 6cyl
you could go to a library and copy the info from a VL workshop manual

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
While you have it apart, check the bearing in the belt tensioner pulley to make sure it isn't worn or running dry. You need to loosen all the rocker shaft retaining bolts so you can get the belt tension set corectly. Slip the belt on with the crank timing mark lined up with the mark on the oil pump and the cam with the dowel pin at the top. The gregorys manual says there should be 53 grooves on the belt between the top and bottom markson the pulleys on the passenger side of the engine. You need to loosen the locknut on the belt tensioner and let the spring on the tensioner apply belt tension.You should use an allen key to rock the tensioner back and forward to make sure it is moving freely and is applying belt tension. Next hold the tensioner puley in position with the allen key while tightening the locknut, then tighten up the rocker shaft bolts and put everything else back together.

starfire vc

now on 10 pound
Reaction score
Members Ride
got a 2nd hand balancer from a wreckers yesterdy, so iam tryin to get her goin today.. why is do u need to loosen the rocker shafts? and what other mark do i line the camshaft up with? or is it just so the locating dowel is at the top? allso when counting the teeth. do u start from the groove or the tooth?

jatsvl

NEEDS MORE POWER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl exec wagon
here is a diagram:thumbsup:

Attachments

• timing marks.pdf
    96.5 KB · Views: 1,935

Panama

Reaction score
Members Ride
'87 VL Calais with L67
do the cam and crankseals as well while the belt is off, it will only take an extra half hour and the pair of seals cost me $25 i think. its worth doing that because if they leak next week then the oil contaminates the new belt and softens its rubber and shags it quicker.

also advance the cam one tooth by making sure the crank is at tdc and putting the dimple in the cam gear one tooth clockwise from where it says in the manual (should be dead on top) then move the dizzy as far anticlockwise as it will go. youll notice a bit more power.

also i think that dayco do a racing timing belt for about $70 that lasts 5 years instead of seven. repco should be able to hook you up with one of those.

Panama

Reaction score
Members Ride
'87 VL Calais with L67
got a 2nd hand balancer from a wreckers yesterdy, so iam tryin to get her goin today.. why is do u need to loosen the rocker shafts? and what other mark do i line the camshaft up with? or is it just so the locating dowel is at the top? allso when counting the teeth. do u start from the groove or the tooth?

i wouldnt bother loosening the rocker shafts either. it makes it a tad easier but i wouldnt waste the time doing it.

starfire vc

now on 10 pound
Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks 4 ur help all. got the belt on and she's goin again. it 's running fine now. so iam allmost certain that the belt sliped causing it to run rough. didnt hav the time to do seals. lets hope they hold up 4 a bit longer.

jazza1369

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl commodore wagon
i have a question about the tensioner pully... the spring has come off on mine while i was changing the water pump and i dont know how to tension it and put it back on properly.