Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

help wid paint and panel

maxpower QLD

has mild super powers
Reaction score
Members Ride
Xtrail/5spd VL
hi everyone

ok i'm thinking about painting my VL and would like to have a go at doing by myself coz i don't have a spare six grand to get it done properly. so i'm wondering if any one has done this and if they have how did it turn out ? and could they help me with a few pointers pls ? :confused:

1. What sort of paint should i use ? two pack or acrilic ?

2. tips for preperation e.g paint stripping , grease and wax removal , mixing and number of applications of primer :wax:

3. how to mix the clear and number of clear coats should i apply ?

4. preperaiton for painting the plastic moulds and bumpers .

Any help or tips would be great guys as i'm not after a show wining paint job i just want to tidy it up and make it look more presentable . cheers

Last edited:

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
If you've got no experience at painting before this, I'd try and find a friend or someone that will do it for cheap. It's got potential to look terrible if you don't do it well.

Runs, orange peel, looking real flat etc. You could potentially waste hours of work and litres of paint.

I know you can get resprays from people that do paint for a living, for 1k.

But read that link.

maxpower QLD

has mild super powers
Reaction score
Members Ride
Xtrail/5spd VL
I've spent about 5 hours lastnight seaching for information about this kind of stuff and found basicly nothing and the information i did find was about as helpful as a broken leg . Anyways i think i'l just pay the six grand and have it done properly.

Cheers guys

Hjtunr

Reaction score
Members Ride
hb tonner/be a pan commy
hay dude hava go at it yur self. dnt bother taking it back to bare metal you might find much more than u bargained for, pretty much what you gota do is block back the clear, use either wet or dy or any fine grit papper, then score you sum 2k high fill primer, this will sort out all yur low/high spots, then block that back again, then paint wise id go ppg but there a bit pricey so id go concept paints, spray yur base coast then yur clear over the top, if u get runs in the clear wait a cuply weeks then buff that shiz back. good luck cobber

maxpower QLD

has mild super powers
Reaction score
Members Ride
Xtrail/5spd VL
cheers mate . Yeah i've recently had the rust taken out and new panels put on so the body is now rust and dent free . I've aquired a kick as compresor and top loading spray gun. I had planed on painting it my shed and line the walls and floor with clear plastic to keep the dust out . I'm not sure how long i should wait for the paint to flash before i aplly the nxt coat ? Whats with the heat lamps ? do they enhance the quality of the paint finish or does it just speed the drying time up a bit .I'm still not to sure if i should do it or just pay 6 grand for someone else to do it and be done with it .

R0d

Reaction score
Members Ride
cammed vu maloo r8
. I'm not sure how long i should wait for the paint to flash before i aplly the nxt coat ? Whats with the heat lamps ? do they enhance the quality of the paint finish or does it just speed the drying time up a bit .I'm still not to sure if i should do it or just pay 6 grand for someone else to do it and be done with it .

depends, basecoat with slow reducer takes about 5minutes to dry, direct gloss about 10. Heat lamps can actually make the clear soften causing it either flatten a small bit or run if you dont let the clear sit for a while, but if the car needs to be finished quickly heat lamps will dry it faster

maxpower QLD

has mild super powers
Reaction score
Members Ride
Xtrail/5spd VL
depends, basecoat with slow reducer takes about 5minutes to dry, direct gloss about 10. Heat lamps can actually make the clear soften causing it either flatten a small bit or run if you dont let the clear sit for a while, but if the car needs to be finished quickly heat lamps will dry it faster

thanx mate so what about clear ? How many coats should i use coz i was thinkin about three coats of clear , give or take ?