Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

radiator cap problems

harry3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 6cyl
despite not driving far, Ive had 2 radiator caps that have allowed some water to leak out both after only 3 years

this isnt good, especially with the VL steam trap problem, both were CPC, dont know what went wrong but I suspect the pressure spring weakened

am now trying a tridon brand cap but they dont put the pressure on their caps, the wrong pressure cap could cause problems too.

there is a cap pressure testing machine and I suppose we should get out caps tested

TWOJZ

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL shagon ;)
gotta love threads like this that seem to have no point, and no question! haha

I bought a new radiator cap for my VL, and somehow lost about half a litre of coolant, so, I put the old, rather original cap back on...

starfire vc

now on 10 pound
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL turbo, RB30ET VH wagon, 64 EH in the build.
my vl still has the original cap..works like any other quallity piece of g,m componentery

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
despite not driving far, Ive had 2 radiator caps that have allowed some water to leak out both after only 3 years

this isnt good, especially with the VL steam trap problem, both were CPC, dont know what went wrong but I suspect the pressure spring weakened

am now trying a tridon brand cap but they dont put the pressure on their caps, the wrong pressure cap could cause problems too.

there is a cap pressure testing machine and I suppose we should get out caps tested

Harry if you question the pressure rating or quality of the aftermarket stuff try the genuine cap, if you cant get it from a dealer ebay have them

harry3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 6cyl
if the radiator cap isnt holding the correct pressure a water loss from the overflow pipe will happen on a long fast drive but not when driving around locally, how often do we look at the temp gauge?

eventually when the water loss is noted, refilling may result in a steam trap, you would need to undo the 2 bleeder bolts and force water in thru the radiator cap hole to see how fast it comes out to know whether you had the makings of a steam trap and a cracked cylinder head