Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Head Gasket

daggett

Crazy Tiger
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Wagon
Need some advice guys, I can pick up a nice cheap VL in good nic but it's got a blown head gasket apparntly? What do I need to check and how hard it it to replace?

Thanks champ's

Chris.

Trevor 062

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE S2 SSV REDLINE & 07 VZ ACCLAIM WAGON
Chances are head is cracked..VL's have a tendancy to crack heads..

seventh path

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VL RB30 Berlina
i don't know how hard it is to replace one but to check, see if there is water in the oil or oil in the water......or start it and take the radiator cap off when it's cold. if it bubbles like it's boiling then most likely the heads cracked or the head gasket is gone

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
depends on how much your looking at getting it for. factor in that there is a chance youll need to stick a new engine in it or get the head done. if its good a good straight body with no rust keep on it.

dids00

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss ute
hey mate

yer check if oil is in water or water in oil. even can get a dye testing kit that will indicate that if it is blown. can get 1 done at a workshop or usually a car parts retailer stocks them i think they are bout 30- 40 dollars
vl commodores are common for heads to crack
check the kilometers its done and if it is high kms think if it is worth it to just replace the head or to replace the motor heads are usually 600 to 800 dollars and motors are usually for vl 3.0 2000- 3000 dollars

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
What kinda motors are you buying man? Brand new reconditioned ones?

Can pick up a second hand complete motor for 2-3 hundred dollars.

Wouldn't even bother getting a testing kit for it, if its gone you'll know it. Start it up and have a look at it, You take the oil Filler cap off and it'll be a foam party going on. The radiator cap off while the cars running and there'll be air bubbles forming.

Not sure how much to replace it. I'd be looking at 500 max if I was to pay for it.

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
maybe that engine comes with A CAR ;)

U

uuwish

whatever you do get your head checked before you put it back on, also use nissan gasket, do it properly and you wont have troubles

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
dids00 said:
hey mate

yer check if oil is in water or water in oil. even can get a dye testing kit that will indicate that if it is blown. can get 1 done at a workshop or usually a car parts retailer stocks them i think they are bout 30- 40 dollars
vl commodores are common for heads to crack
check the kilometers its done and if it is high kms think if it is worth it to just replace the head or to replace the motor heads are usually 600 to 800 dollars and motors are usually for vl 3.0 2000- 3000 dollars

i cracked the head in my vl and i went down to my local wreckers and i got another motor for $300 when i traded the other one in

C

chaz

i though i had that problem with my vl.. but the reason why we thought it was the head gaskit cause the guy i got it of said dat its gone but really it was only bulid up around the radiator cap... so you might be in luck there is still hope