Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

transmission problem with vn.help.

K

knighty

hi guys.
when i first start my vn up and put it into drive or reverse it doesn't move for about a minute or so,then it's ok and it drives fine,the oil in the transmission is fine.
any ideas.
cheers.
knighty.

VpV6

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP II Executive
I would change the transmission fluid and filter as a starting point. I think it will only cost around $50 (depends where you get the parts). There is an unlikely chance that the filter is very blocked and its having trouble sucking through the fluid.

Ive got a how-to on this at:
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=10049

However taking that amount of time to find a gear is a sign of wear in the transmission. You wont be able to repair it yourself, as they are tricky and tempramental things.

If changing the fluid and filter doesnt help out the best thing to do is get a changeover transmission. This costs up to about $1100 depending on where you go. Its good to get a few quotes first b4 comitting yourself.

The1985divo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
id get the box serviced, the bands might just need tightenin

VpV6

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP II Executive
I didnt think the bands were adjustable on the VN/VP trannys

Guy at All States Automatic Transmissions told me that they hydralically adjusted themselves.

K

knighty

vn transmission.

thanks guys, will try the things you suggest.
cheers.
knighty.

W

Wonderboy

sounds like the valve body is shagged mate, my hj wagon has a trimatic and i popped it 3 times, first time i pulled it apart and the planetary gearset was in about 1000 peices, second time top gear and reverse clutch packs were metal on metal, the third time however i would select reverse on the old collumn shift and it would take like 30+ seconds to jump in. i had the valve body apart and there was a whole bunch of metal shavings (probably from previous beltings) clogging the oil vains that select reverse thus losing oil pressure. i cleaned it out and changed the bands cos they were slipping also when i tried to do burnouts and it was fine. it slipped when it downshifted from top to 2nd ( i think i buggered the band adjustment) but i dont drive her anymore. but yeah if u wanna crack it open and take a look you might figure it out, if u get stuck take it to an auto joint and just tell em whats wrong costs more coin that way tho