Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Efi V8 Hard Hot Starting

R

rebirthed

Got a V8 VN which has a piss poor attitude to starting after it has been driven and left for over half an hour or so.

Stone cold, she fires with one crank... left for 10-15 minutes, one crank and idles up beautifully.

Hot and been left sitting, it cranks for about 5-7 seconds before it kinda splutters to life. A few revs and she's running normal as if nothing is wrong.

Taken it to numerous mechanics who have pressure tested the efi system and yes, it does hold pressure, so there is no leak down.

ECU has been checked, and no fault codes to be found.

Anyone got any ideas... i thought only the early V6s cranked and cranked before they fired into life ?

Regards,

Phil

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
i've got an early v6 and she fires nicely, sometimes a few cranks but not too many.

since i've been here i've learnt that the crank angle sensor cops a lot of blame for this kind of fault.

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
i didn't know that. how does it time the ignition?

R

rebirthed

Ignition timing is maintained through the ignition module.

The dizzy has a hall effect device which generates signals to the ignition module to indicate crankshaft position and ignition speed...

This is exactly the same job a crank angle sensor does

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
ahh it's got a dizzy.

anyway there is no way anyone can give a definite diagnosis over the web but i'll take a stab at the coolant temp. sensor, if in fact it's got one

R

rebirthed

Yeah she's got one of them...

But i'm just wondering if anyone has experienced a similar problem and found a solution that doesn't involve a crank angle sensor

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
Have you checked the ignition module or tried replacing it?

Cheers

Jake

R

rebirthed

That's gonna be the final solution i think, cos they ain't cheap .