Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Clutch pedal bush question

R

Russell Coight

hihi,

The clutch pedal in VN manual makes this bloody annoying high pitched rattle type sound, and also sort of creaks when you press the clutch. I've been told it's the pedal bush. I've since obtained one of these from Holden and am wondering how hard it is to put in? Do I need one or two?

I've got a Hayne's repair manual and it doesn't go into much detail, is the Gregory's manual better? I've seen a few posts where people have recommended them.

any help would be much appreciated

cheers

VpV6

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP II Executive
Hi Russell :yeah:

I havent acutally done this on a VN, but I have done it on two other cars. The bush should be made of a plasticy type thing, which as you gathered wears away over time.

Now im not 100% sure about the VN, but on my VP if you look up at the pedal box (where the pedal pivots are) there is a plastic shroud. If you remove this you should be able to see the whole pedal box, and both the brake and clutch pedal pivots.

Have a look at how the pedals mount on the pivot. On fords they have one rod which the brake pedal swings on, and another seperate rod for the clutch pedal. Hopefully this is the same for the VN, since this makes it a lot simpler.

If you look at the end of the rod/pivot which the clutch pedal swings on there should be a circlip or some form of clip which prevents the pedal from falling off the pivot. Once you have found this, you have to remove the clutch cable as described in your haines manual. I think it just clips off. Have a look now for a return spring that holds the clutch pedal at max height. You will need to remove this too.

OK... now release the circlip / clamp and slide the pedal off the pivot. You may want to put a rag on the floor as the old bush may fall out as the pedal slides off... and it may be greasy! You now should have the pedal in your hands. Hopefully the old bush comes out easy for you, and now you can fit the new one. Clean up the rod/pivot on the pedal box and apply some grease and then refit the pedal.

Hope this little outline helps!