Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing rack ends - Can I do it myself?

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
Wagon recently developed a bad knocking in the front suspension/steering, I knew one ball joint was shagged (thinking that was causing the knock) and a few other things needed doing so I replaced

Control arm bushes
Lower ball joints
Wheel bearings
Swaybar links
Tie rod ends
Strut tops
Shocks

Took the car for a drive and im still getting a bad knocking sound, When the car is stationary and I move the steering wheel from side to side quickly the sound can be heard. Im thinking Steering rack ends? My question is are they hard to replace myself? I replaced everthing else so thats all I can think of

Cheers

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
I can't see how the rack ends would be causing a knock. I think you have to look elsewhere. Here's a simple test:

Knock out both your tie rod end ball joints, and grab the sleeve of the rack end in a spanner. Twist and turn and pull. If you can't make the rack ends shift about, then they're fine. They're screwed tightly into place and held in by lock washers, so I find it hard to imagine how they could ever come loose when the balls in the end of them turn freely :)

But if you have to change them, you will need:

Cable ties
New boots (worth doing for $10)
Rack ends
Lock washers
HUGE + NARROW shifter
Stillson wrench

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
I can't see how the rack ends would be causing a knock. I think you have to look elsewhere. Here's a simple test:

Knock out both your tie rod end ball joints, and grab the sleeve of the rack end in a spanner. Twist and turn and pull. If you can't make the rack ends shift about, then they're fine. They're screwed tightly into place and held in by lock washers, so I find it hard to imagine how they could ever come loose when the balls in the end of them turn freely :)

But if you have to change them, you will need:

Cable ties
New boots (worth doing for $10)
Rack ends
Lock washers
HUGE + NARROW shifter
Stillson wrench

Thanks Morton, I knocked out the tie rod end and pulled back the boot, when i pull on arm there is a little play in the ball joint, which makes a knocking noise similar to what i've been experiencing, so hopefully I have found the problem. I have ordered a pair of brand new rack ends which should be here in the next few days.
Will the new rack ends come with new lock washers? and is it as simple as bending back the lock washer and unscrewing the rack end with a shifter? I already have new boots on there so dont have to worry about replacing those.

Cheers

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hmmm well i left the culprit rack end disconnected (other side is fine) and jiggled the steering wheel again and I am still getting a knocking sound coming from the rack itself it seems, but i don't see how that would cause the knocking sound going in a straight line like it was so I will still wait till i replace the rack end and see if the problem persists. Hoping I am not up for a new steering rack, although would be a good opportunity to go manual steering :)

rob drag racer

vn vp drag nut
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
vp 3.8 with gas new project vn s1 guted strip only
i had this issue it turned out to be a lose wheel bearing on the passenger side front just gos to show just because someone calls them self a mechanic dont meen that they do there job properly (i ended up fixing it my self )

faroogoo

SENTINEL
Reaction score
Members Ride
GMH
Maybe check the joint between the column & the rack.

rob drag racer

vn vp drag nut
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
vp 3.8 with gas new project vn s1 guted strip only
Maybe check the joint between the column & the rack.

that's possible to mine was worn on the race car and would clunk every time i put any movement to the wheels but the hole straight line issues sounds like a wheel bearing

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the input, nah not wheel bearings they are brand new, and adjusted correctly. I checked the uni joint going to the rack, all seems fine there, and since it is only a straight line problem im leaning towards the rack end, it had enough play to cause the knock and I dont think the rack itself or uni joint would cause the knock driving straight. Has anyone changed one before? im a bit unsure about the lock washer, do i just bend it out and can I reuse it?

Cheers