Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Formula R?

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
Hey Guys

As some of u may know i upgraded 2 a vn ss 5litre, just wondering should i keep 2 valvoline that i used 2 use in the old calais " Gota luv the Valvoline XLD 20w 50 - My favourite brand - ("u know what i mean") :king: or try the Castrol Formula R 25w 50. This is my 1st service i will be doing at 185,000km so ill do the oil change my self , save a few buks :) . My Service & Tune is a few thosand away but i just wondered what other Commodore v8 drivers experieces are with this oil or should i get another brand like Penzoil GT Performance,Motul,Mobil,Shell Helix Plus Sport 50 25W-70, Fuchs,Havoline?

Thanks guys and comments and info would be appreciated 2 get the 5litre runnin well on some good quality oil that i will keep and change every 5000km. :bop:

Question: Is a 15w 40 weight 2 thin for the v8?

draytox

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais 5.0
To be honest I have heard that Castrol Forumula R is rubbish, but I have also heard success stories. I currently have GTX3 in my baby which is 15W-40, I think its a little too thin coz the engine is a little noisy when it gets warm.

In my mind Penrite HPR15 (15-60) semi-synthetic is the best oil for a holden bent 8.

Cheers

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
I would seem to think maybe least 50grade for when engine gets warm, but I think the lowest grade is 20-50w grade. Just don't be too harsh on the engine when cold.
With Oils it would be hardest to know which is the best. You would need to speak with someone who has used a majority of them and tell you what results you got. But these days with frictionless motors I think as long as you change your oil regularly, and use a good brand it shouldn't really matter what oil you use.
I use Penzoil myself, but it's a personal preference.

Cheers,
Jim :cool:

Cheers,
Jim :cool:

Lexx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II S/C S
Oil is a personal choice. Ask 12 people what they use and you'll probably get 12 different answers!!
Kind of like asking if you like Coke or Pepsi. U use what you like.
As for the Castrol Formula R 25w 50, I believe the "R" stands for "Rip Off" or "Ricer". Unless you're driving a Ferrari, Porsche, Lambo or a modified multi valve Jap Turbo I wouldn't bother. You would be hard pressed to notice the difference in this oil yourself.
I use Penrite HPR 15 in my VN V8 and have an additive in there as well - Slick 50. I'm happy with it and will continue to do so. Each to their own :)

VpV6

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP II Executive
Lots of ppl have asked this and lots of different answers have come up every time :my:

Heres my experiences, which may or may not be the same as others and im not saying they are entirely accurate...

Over time in different cars I have used the following oils:
- Magnatec
- Mobil 1
- Valvoline XLD Premium 20w-50
- Valvoline XLD Gas
- GTX2
- GTX3
- Mobil Synth S
- Mobil 20W-50

Magnatec was not worth the money. It didnt make anything feel smoother on startup and felt very 'frictiony' when driving. I wouldnt go back to it.

Mobil 1 is the best oil ive ever used and will continue using it. I use the 5W-50 in my VPV6 and its not too thin. It feels really smooth when driving and doesnt burn ANY oil. People have said its too thin and will burn it when its started, but I have never found this. The timing chain used to rattle with magnatec and is now silent with Mobil 1.

XLD premium was good, but its designed for 1980's cars, so im a bit hesitant to use it in the newer buick designs. Great for VL's, VK's etc.

XLD gas is for gas engines. It was great.

GTX2 and GTX3 I found were rubbish for my applications. Had a Telstar in good condition that never burnt oil, then I tried these two. Both increased oil consumption. I switched to XLD premium and it never used a drop or even discoloured it. My mechanic said you might as well use treacle in your engine. But others may have had good experiences with these oils, so keep them in mind.

Mobil Synth S is great if Mobil 1 is too dear for you. Its used in a 1991 camry and the car has never felt better.

Mobil 20W-50 is also good, my mates use it.

Hopefully this helps you out a bit. Im not saying this is the ULTIMATE guide as everyone has a different experience. Find what works for you and STICK WITH IT as engines hate changing oil brands frequently.

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
Thanks

Cheers Guys for all ur comments ill speak 2 my mechanic who uses penzoil... valiant mate lol.... See what those guys say and recommend, really wanna just keep oil same something from the start and keep using it. Mobil is good im sure so is shell and so is valvoline in there own areas.

Know Body Recommended Motul isn't that spose 2 be up there somewhere? and Fuchs well not heard alot about em tho....

No Dramas, Thanx again for ur comments fellas. :yeah: