Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cracks in engine covers

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
I've recently discovered a number of small cracks in my engine covers (VP V6) after degreasing my motor. Are these cracks something to worry about? They don't look too serious, (photo's tommorow if nessacary) ???

pow3rslave

DoNothing Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5.0L
you probably mean the rocker covers if it's a v6.
it's not anything i've ever heard of, but you can get a new set for cheap, just don't get series 1 1's they're expensive cos people polish them, also they have a hole for the pcv that you'd need to weld up.
supercheap sell metal ones that are about 120 bucks a pair, which i don't think is really worth it.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
being a composite fibre plastic or something, they can be damaged easier than the older alloy covers.

i've seen it a few times, but its not common as far as i know.

just get some replacement ones from wreckers, and some new gaskets.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
yeah i've never seen them cracked before, but i definately want to get them replaced if their going to get worse which i think they will. I wouldnt mind the metal ones, but yeah i think their a little over pirced for what they are. I wouldn't mind polishing a set up if i was to replace them, so the series 1 cover's, are they from a VN, or VP? and are they a different material?

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
series 1 vn only. find a set cheap if you can, take them to someone to weld the pcv hole(or block it up with a bung), get them sandblasted, then polish/get them polished up.

check out iblown's vs for pics of some polished up.

you will need series 1 gaskets for them too, as theyre shaped different(but WILL fit on vp heads without a problem)

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Thanks everyone, i'll have a look around. I'm living in Cairns now, so i need to find out what wreckers are about and so on...

Matt_vp

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy lumina v6 A4
Welcome to the sunshine state, I was also told that the aftermarket metal ones dont seal very well and a few people have had dramas trying to seal them up and end up swapping back to standard ones. Dont know how true it is and would like to know what experiances people have had with them.
Matt

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
I haven't heard about that, but interesting to find out if so, before i go and buy a set.. I've heard the aftermarket ones sit a little higher, whether that causes any issues.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
i have the aftermarket ones on mine. no height issues to worry about. they use a cork gasket, so its not perfect, they need replacing more often than stock rubber gaskets, but i havent done mine yet(it does weep a bit though)