Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how do i replace rack ends on a vn 5 litre

lilmatt

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais 5 litre
Hi was wandering if any one could tell me how to replace the rack ends on my vn 5 litre. I just went to the mechanic and he told me i have to take the whole steering rack out, as it is much easier. Any help would be appreciated
thanx
MATT

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
You can do it in the car.
Crack the tie rod end lock nuts, undo the tie rod ends and pop them out of the steering arm.
Cut the cable ties holding the boot to the rack and peel it back exposing the rack.
Turn the wheel to the opposite side to what you are doing. EG if you are doing the RHS turn the steering to the left. This exposes the rack end where it screws into the rack.
Bend the washer tab up off the rack end and using a spanner, undo the rack end. It will be tight. A shifter may be too wide it fit onto the flats on the rack end but most do fit.
Fit the new rack end, making sure you fit the new washer and bend it over, this locks the rack end to the rack.
Remove the tie rod end from the old rack end, counting the turns as you do, and refit it onto the new rack end the same number of turns.
Refit the tie rod end to the steering arm.
Repeat for the other side.
Get a wheel alignment done.

lilmatt

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais 5 litre
vn 5 litre transmission problem, i think! i need help!! please

hey guys i took my car out today and my trans started playing up on me what happens is it wont change from first to 2nd until it hits 4000rpm and same for 3rd n 4th it usually changes gear when it gets to 2 n a half 3000 rpm. also when im driving at about 60k ive got like what seems to be a clutch and play in acceleration for example im sittin on 60 2000rpm if i back off it just revs untill im back at 2000rpm again like its slippin but its not. ive got a stage 2 shift kit in it as well. im pretty sure the trans may be on its way out but i dont want to take the car to jus any trans joint an get ripped off. so any help would be much appreciated thanks matt.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
What's the fluid level like?