Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

TH700R4 V6 & V8 Differences

CalaisJohn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais S2
Thought I'd start a thread on the differences between V6 & V8 model trannies as V6 trannies are plentiful and fairly cheap to source, as opposed to the V8 tranny. Apart from the obvious bell-housing & input shaft difference's i'm asking anyone in the know if the internals are same ? ... for the many of us with tender V8 auto's and some bush-mechanic skills could we transplant any V6 components and keep our rides rolling that little bit longer? any knowledge welcome :)

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
I dare say it would be possible. I'm not aware of different part numbers for trans service kits or shift kits for either model. So the valve body must be very similar if not identical. I'm not sure if the V8s run stronger clutches, but I doubt it given how fast a 304 can destroy an old T700. I'm also fairly confident that the servo setup would be identical.

As far as I know the gear ratios are the same too, so the only differences that I'm aware of are in the physical size of the shell and bellhousing, and the size of the torque converter.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Same gearbox as far as I know (apart from front section of the case)

CalaisJohn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais S2
thanks for your input guys so far it sounds promising :)

I'll let this thread gather some info then i'll get the tools and camera out :p

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
i always thought the difference between the v6 + v8 gearbox's where the input shafts? maybe longer or different amount of splines something? (im just guessing)

I could be wrong and most likely am, i remember seeing something about it ageeeeeeees ago so dont know how true it is

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
The shafts would be different lengths? but the insides should be the same

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
usualy the only differance is ratio not strength. (first/second) gear is taller.
this applies to 2 speed power glide, is 1st gear is taller in V8 thats the only differance.