Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How do you replace wheel studs - vp?

Timsgmh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina Wags
I have a couple of wheel studs that need replacing for rwc....how do i do it myself and where do i buy them?

GetToDaChopa

Blues Brother # 2
Reaction score
Members Ride
The Blues Mobile
I know that for the front of the car, you need to take the brake caliper off and remove the retaining bracket. Then take the rotor off (it could be seized on so you need to use a few taps with the hammer around the rotor) and go from there.

Timsgmh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina Wags
Cheers mate,i will give it a belt and see how we go but where do you source new ones(used)?

GetToDaChopa

Blues Brother # 2
Reaction score
Members Ride
The Blues Mobile
Well you could go to Holden, but i'm sure eBay will have the same stuff. Also just use some new grease when putting the rotor back on again.

Rossbx

Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 VS Commodore Equipe Sedan
Are they front or rear studs?
This is a bit of a double edged sword here really. On one hand it is easy to change the stud without taking the front hub/rotors off. All you need is two hex nuts (not wheel nuts) of the same thread as the stud. Screw both nuts onto the stud and then tighten them up against each other. Now put your spanner on the inside nut and start winding it out. installation is the reversal of this procedure but using the spannere on the outside nut to tighten it. You may want to put some never sieze on the thread as well. It just makes it easier to remove again at a later time if you have to. Note you will need someone to put their foot on the brake to stop the rotor from turning while you are trying to remove the stud.

On the other side; before you do any of that on the front, Check the thickness of your discs before you do it. If they are undersized then you will have to replace the discs/rotors. They come with new studs already installed.

Rears are in the Axle. I an not sure if they are the punch in type or what as I haven't had an axle out.
When you do anything like this though, be safe and use jack stands to support the vehicle. Do not under any circumstances work on this sort of thing with the vehicle supported on a jack only. It is way too dangerous

georgeonboost

clutch it!
Reaction score
Members Ride
slammed VP EXEC
rears are pretty simple to do. you can do them without removing the axle as i did it this way aswell.

remove the brake caliper and bracket, remove disc rotor (can be a bitch to get off) and you will be left with your handbrake assembly. i removed the handbrake shoes etc so it was easier for me to get to the studs. i then got an old wheel nut and screwed it on a few threads and proceeded to go to town on it with a sledge hammer. couple of taps and it popped through. the new one i pulled through and used washers as spacers and put a wheel nut on and tightened it up and it pulled the stud through to where it was meant to be.

hope this helps anyone.

George

Timsgmh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina Wags
Its missing completely and it only needs 1.

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
Are they front or rear studs?
This is a bit of a double edged sword here really. On one hand it is easy to change the stud without taking the front hub/rotors off. All you need is two hex nuts (not wheel nuts) of the same thread as the stud. Screw both nuts onto the stud and then tighten them up against each other. Now put your spanner on the inside nut and start winding it out. installation is the reversal of this procedure but using the spannere on the outside nut to tighten it. You may want to put some never sieze on the thread as well. It just makes it easier to remove again at a later time if you have to. Note you will need someone to put their foot on the brake to stop the rotor from turning while you are trying to remove the stud.

They're not that kind of stud that screw in, they have a spline and can only be removed/installed from the rear, so rotor has to come off and punch them through with a hammer