Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

a few V8 conversion questions

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
I'm thinking about doing a V8 conversion on my VP around the end of this year, as i will finally have some garage space, and i also have a friend who is a retired mechanic, who has offered to help me out. I have a few questions which i was hoping some one could answer for me.

Are there any parts from my V6 that can be used with a V8, such as power steering pump/resivour, alternator, radiator ect? or are they all completey differnet?

Also, as far as the wiring goes, is this something that can be done by a novice, or is it best left to a professional? And can i use my existing gearbox, or did V8 use a different gearbox (auto)

I'm fairly confident in removing and installing the new motor, but is there anything i should be aware of, or some advice before i begin removing/installing

Thank you to anyone who can help me

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
u wll need to use v8 box, v8 alt, v8 every thing

pow3rslave

DoNothing Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5.0L
I'm thinking about doing a V8 conversion on my VP around the end of this year, as i will finally have some garage space, and i also have a friend who is a retired mechanic, who has offered to help me out. I have a few questions which i was hoping some one could answer for me.
Are there any parts from my V6 that can be used with a V8, such as power steering pump/resivour, alternator, radiator ect? or are they all completey differnet?
if you're going auto to auto you can keep the tailshaft, also you can use your v6 steering rack. all those other bits are different.
HoldenCommodoreVP said:
Also, as far as the wiring goes, is this something that can be done by a novice, or is it best left to a professional? And can i use my existing gearbox, or did V8 use a different gearbox (auto)
loom is fairly easy i didn't know where to screw earths onto, but apart from that plugs only go on one fitting. autos used different input shafts v6 to v8, you should get a v8 box
HoldenCommodoreVP said:
I'm fairly confident in removing and installing the new motor, but is there anything i should be aware of, or some advice before i begin removing/installing.
it'll cost more than you plan on, mine took ages because i was slow at it. get locktite for everything. there's a fair few threads up. with info on all the bits you'll need.

thedeadwalk

thedeadwalk
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive S2
and don't forget the rolling stock for safty man the v6 roll out was not make for the power of a v8 we don't want to read your car has made love to a tree man

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
S2 VP has the same brakes as the V8 apart from the booster and master

thedeadwalk

thedeadwalk
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive S2
suspension and camper are diffrent in the v8 models

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I think at this point, my best bet would be to find a suitable motor and box, fit it, then wreck everything i have remaining from the V6, and then go from there.That way i will have a bit more money for any extra bits and pieces i will need. I won't be in any hurry, so i'll have plenty of time to research and find help if i get stuck somewhere.

Can my exhaust, or any section of it be used? I recently had a 2.5 inch single muffler magnaflow exhaust fitted, which i would have no problem selling, but would good if some, or all of it, could be used..

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I think at this point, my best bet would be to find a suitable motor and box, fit it, then wreck everything i have remaining from the V6, and then go from there.That way i will have a bit more money for any extra bits and pieces i will need. I won't be in any hurry, so i'll have plenty of time to research and find help if i get stuck somewhere.

Can my exhaust, or any section of it be used? I recently had a 2.5 inch single muffler magnaflow exhaust fitted, which i would have no problem selling, but would good if some, or all of it, could be used..

Everything from and including the Cat back will fit straight on

NEDWOB

Reaction score
Website
ozwagons.iforums.us
Members Ride
VN WAGON
i just did this conversion
you are better to buy a complete wreck for the parts needed.
parts you can use off your 6
exuast from cat back-i used my 2.5 redback system
front brakes - i upgreded to a 1" master though(dont need to have these changes as v8 come out with them)
front springs-best to change them to v8 ones for new reg as it sags.
diff can be used but i opted to put a LSD in after a couple months
tailshaft can be used but i also changed mine for a v8 one
thing you need for transplant
v8 k frame
v8 radiator and shroud
auto loom if fron vq vn vp(they have a seperate piece)
v8 engine and t700 auto
engine loom and ecu
engine mounts(v8)
ignition module
accelerator cable
all v8 engine bolt on bits( ps/ac/fan )
power steering lines x 2 (1 is a hp)
transmision cross member
1. hpfuel pump and sender unit
2. 2 x new high pressure v8 fuel lines
these are if you car is made before july 89

Last edited: