Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Confused and unsure...turbo/supercharger/stock turbo?

venomous

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn Commodore
ive only just started doing some minor modifications to my Vn 3.8LTR...but im a little unsure of what to go for in the long run.

Ive been reading alot about the CRS supercharger on this forum and it seems pretty good. But they seem really expensive..

for 3 psi* paying 1800$, and then the other one wich has 9PSI and you pay something like 6000$ ??...

so i was wondering if i can rip off a turbo from another car and use on my engine?

maybe a turbo from a r33, supra, ca18, sr20 ? or even a xr6 or xr8 ? like i said in the other thread ive seen the r33, supra and the ca18 and sr20 turbo's go for only around 300$, now i know that these cars are only 2.0ltrs and my engine is 3.8ltr, but surley you will get more then 3PSI from it? or even more then 9PSI, maybe even do a custom twin turbo set up..
and im guessing if i do this i will need to upgrade alot of things, cams, fuel pump, exaust, manifold / extractors, get an intercooler? and maybe some more stuff..

so, is it possible?

edit : just found this, what you think ???

http://www.ausauto.com/warehouse/pr...31&pgstart=&subcat_id=92&parent_id=91&start=0

Last edited:
B

boxhead

mate anything is possible. But if you want to get good gains you will have to spend up big. A friend of mine recently turbocharged his ute and got 500 kw. But to get this he spent around 15-20 grand easily! but it will fry the tyres at 160km! You can get a supercharger of a Toyota 4AGZE and put a better pully on it and you car should be able to handle it as long as its trateated well. You should be able to beat stock 5 litres easily. Anything more though and you will have to get stronger gearbox, diff, engine internals etc etc, which costs money. As for the supercharger in the link, give it a miss coz its to small and only suited for a lawnmower or small engine. Hope that helps.

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
boxhead said:
mate anything is possible. But if you want to get good gains you will have to spend up big. A friend of mine recently turbocharged his ute and got 500 kw. But to get this he spent around 15-20 grand easily! but it will fry the tyres at 160km! You can get a supercharger of a Toyota 4AGZE and put a better pully on it and you car should be able to handle it as long as its trateated well. You should be able to beat stock 5 litres easily. Anything more though and you will have to get stronger gearbox, diff, engine internals etc etc, which costs money. As for the supercharger in the link, give it a miss coz its to small and only suited for a lawnmower or small engine. Hope that helps.

Whats wrong with a supercharger Venemous - far superior over a turbo :whistling. I think sellling ur car and getting rid of the old buick v6 for a 5litre is a much better idea and you can do so much on v8's thats why i got one and who cares if you drive it once a week or something. Whats ur mods so far? I am not saying make a fast v6 but a better block from vr,vs ,vt would be alot better as they have the goodies 2 help u reach some good hp numbers and flog some v8's out there with ya bullet V6. :b:

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
selecting a secondhand turbo may look easy, but to do it right takes more than that....you have to look at the compressor and turbine efficiency, which can be found on the relevant compressor maps...it would be good to just compare engine displacement and that be it, but there is a bit of science to it.....i think that a supercharger kit with an intercooler already matched to your car would be a little more straight forward....not saying that superchargers are better than turbos either, they both have their pro's and con's, but kits are designed for ease of mind, as long as they come from a reputable company....mind you, there are a couple of turbo kits popping up for v6's too.....the choice is yours

venomous

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn Commodore
hmm yeah i guess thats true, cant exactly just take some bodies word when they say there product is working fine and stuff.

i dont really want to get a v8, it would be good though cause nothing beats the sound of a v8, but im guessing a motor transplant will cost alot and petrol prices would kill me, i drive the car ALOT everyday.

with the supercharger, is this the one your talking about? http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32624&item=4563011696&rd=1

thanks for all the info and advice guys, im pretty new to the automotive scene when it comes to performance tuning and upgrading thats why im asking for your advice, Tommorow though im either starting my tyre technician or motor mechanic traineeship so i can learn some good stuff, hopefully i can get into the motor mechanic one hehe.

THanks again for the info!

My current mods are just the Air pod and my sports turbo lukey exhaust is gettin put in tommorow, then the cold air intake will come.

if i get a supercharger and run it at say 7 or 8 psi will i be able to keep up with a turb'd gts-t r33?

I was following a friend the other day up to welshpool, he owns an IMPUL tuned r33 gts-t, And damn that thing is QUICK, after a turn he just dissapeared one me, suprised me when i relized the difference between an NA engine and a TURBO engine heh.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
even with the boost, i doubt you would keep up to a tuned R33...i could be wrong.....i saw a twin turbo ecotec motor in a magazine the other day, using two subaru turbochargers, i think he quoted140 or 180 rwkw...i was surprised at the space that was left in the engine bay, the coil packs were even in the original position....but anyway, having a commodore means your options are pretty much limitless when it comes to engine swaps, unless you want to start shoehorning viper V10's in there....hmmmmmm :whistling

venomous

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn Commodore
what engines would drop in nicely??..

would a soaror V8 or a soaror twin turbo V6 go in?

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
well, i have seen a pic of a lexus V8 in a vr wagon...i think they had to do a little firewall work to fit it...not saying thats a definite for every car, might have just been the way these guys did the conversion....i actually think there are a few guys on here that have dont the V8 conversion, have a look through some threads....by the way, the soarers have the 1JZ-GTE which is a straight 6.....that would fit too, but if you were looking at that, i would suggest the bigger 2JZ 3.0 litre out of the supra....get the latest street commodores mag and there is a VP ute with a 2JZ in it....cheers

venomous

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn Commodore
ok thanks again for the info.

i just got the new exhaust fitted today, sounds very nice and apparently has an 8% increase for power, but i doubt it. anyways, what would you suggest i go for next?

cams?, extractors? or just go strait for a charger?