Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Nearly stalls when pulling up at the lights

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Had this problem for over a year now, I heard that it can be caused by the iac valve not moving quick enough I have tried two second hand iac valves from the wreckers with no luck is this a common problem? would it be worth paying for a brand new iac control valve?

chrisdoesitbetter

| → ³8°º™ ← |
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 3.8L
if its only happening at the lights, i dont know. try checking your brake booster and vac lines if you havnt already...

HoldrodeoLT

I have no lemon pledge...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Holden Rodeo RA LT, 2008 Polaris Hawkeye 300
Is it surging?

neet_wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 XR6T & 1990 VN dragcar project
I assume it gets serviced? One of the following could be an issue:

- Clean throttle butterfly, it may be sticking closed at off-throttle idle
- Fuel pump, though a year seems a long-arse time for a f/pump to take to die!
- And yeah, it does sound alot like a vacuum issue.

All else fails, get a new IAC valve, doesn't take alot of 'gunk' to make them play up.

Someone else may have a better idea, but without seeing/hearing it, its a bit difficult to diagnose.
Maybe ask a mechanic?

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
yea I took it to a mechanic he was no help at all he just said was come back when the problem is worse!

neet_wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 XR6T & 1990 VN dragcar project
Sounds like a tip top mechanic! It still sounds like either a fuel or vacuum issue to me.

madsav

Reaction score
Members Ride
your ass
sounds just like my old vp the serging and nearly stalling etc etc not sure wat it was thou just sold the car off before it got worse wat ever it was lol

aussieghostrider

Reaction score
The IAC is not alwasy the problem ..

can be -->

cheap things -->

dirty air filter ,blocked fuel filter,dirty injectors,spark plugs and leads,throttle body dirty.

expensive things -->
coil pack/dfi heats up and is causing a miss at low revs , fuelpump on its way out , fuel pressure reg stuffed, inlet manifold gasket stuffed , alternator is weak and cant power car on low revs.

try this .. change all your spark plugs and leads , buy can carbie cleaner and spray 1/4 can into throttle body and open up throttle and spray in there and look in there and you will see the IAC air inlet so spray in there as well then let sit for few minutes then get can wd40 and then spray that in there while opening and closing the throttle as this will lubricate the moving parts , change fuel filter and put bottle nulon injector cleaner and fill up with 1/2 tank of premium and go for a drive on a long road or freeway.

If you still have problem then possibly coolant temp sensor is playing up... and the oxygen sensor can also cause idle issues but usually engine light comes on and fuel consumption increase greatly.

One thing to try is when cars first started in the morning , gently touch accelerator and listen to the low revs and if you hear a miss then its definately spark plugs,leads,coilpack dfi as this is what happened to me trying to sort out the miss even when engine was cold it had the miss and coil pack died year later so replaced with new vp one.

I have spent thousands on my vn only because it's 1 owner and got less than 220,000 it. replaced 90% everything ... only things original are the engine,transmission,diff and the computer.

Last edited: