Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How wide tyres can I go with stock rims?

zskinner

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN CalaisV 6.0L
Hey so I have some stock rims with the standard 205/65r15 tyres, but they are overdue to be replaced and im just wondering how wide tyre I can go. The rims say 15x6, so would I be able to get a 225 wide tyre on or even a 215 wide? Cheers

Andrew426

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP calais, VR Berlina, VJ valiant, BG5 legacy
You are going to get a lot of replies telling you to go to 245 or 265, but if you do it will be a pig to drive.

Stick with the 205s mate, they are plenty wide enough for 15x6.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Even with my interceptors I stick with 205. Anything wider is a waste of time not to mention more expensive. 225 is only 2 cm's bigger and the only difference will be a bulging sidewall that will be detrimental to cornering

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
Tyre shop tells me they will only fit 225 (max) on a 6 inch wide rim as the sidewall will bulge too much

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
The price difference between 205 and 225 is astounding. Almost double where I live. Personally I would rather a skinnier tyre that had less sidewall bulge the one that had bigger.

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
You can run 225's on 6" ceptors.... I run them and they are fine, also the sidewall bulge is pretty sexy :p

The price difference between 205 and 225 is astounding. Almost double where I live. Personally I would rather a skinnier tyre that had less sidewall bulge the one that had bigger.
Really? it's like $10 max here lol

excalibur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP SS
yeah i used to run 215s on my old ceptors to me they were there best

QuickVRII95

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Patent Pending 1995 VR Series II V6 Buick
Tyre shop tells me they will only fit 225 (max) on a 6 inch wide rim as the sidewall will bulge too much

They ARE Correct On That... 225's Max On 15x6's... Any Bigger & You Risk Rolling The Tyres Off The Rim... Too Much Flex In Tyre Wall Too... I've Tested This On My Prototype VRII..

Your A Complete Moron, If You Go Any Bigger Than 225 On 15x6's...

I Only Run 225's On My Cop Interceptor 15x7's (All Four (Police Standard)).. Plenty Of Traction...

QuickVRII95

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Patent Pending 1995 VR Series II V6 Buick
Quote Originally Posted by QuickVRII95
Elaborate, For All Of Us... How The Hell Is A Commodore A Friggin 4-Stroke...???
Where Are You Getting Your Facts From...???

Quote Originally Posted by QuickVRII95
You All ARE Wrong About A Commodore Being A 4 Stroke Engine... Or Any Car For A Matter Of Fact...
A V6 CAN'T Run On ONLY 1 Cylinder... IT'S A 24 STROKE ENGINE... 4 CYCLES Per Cylinder... "Basically Three V-Twins Together

If You Understood What I'm Saying... Yes, A Commodore, Has 4 Cycles & I Didn't Say It Didn't Either... But Essentially IS A 24 Stroke Engine (6x 4 Piston Stroke Cycles Per Cylinder, To Keep Engine Revolving (MINIMUM 24 Strokes To Run)) Get YOUR Facts Right, Before You Slander Someone On Every Post You Type...

A Lawnmower IS Branded 4 Stroke For A Reason... IT ONLY HAS A MAXIMUM Of 4 Pistons Strokes Per Piston Stroke Cycle, For The Motor To Keep Revolving... You Are Thick As... It's Like Talking To A Brick Wall...

zskinner

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN CalaisV 6.0L
lol QuickVRII95 i think that last post was meant for a different thread hahaha. thanks heaps everyone for your input. so im gonna check out prices for 205/65 tyres and also 215/60 and if they are pretty much the same then ill go for the 215's but if they are fairly more expensive then ill just stay with the 205's. thanks again everyone :thumbsup: