Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

92 VP Leaking Coolant and losing power

melmoran86

Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 VP Wagon
I recently purchased a VP wagon as my first car. Not long after I purchased it, during a night time drive the battery light kept coming on and the headlights would dim dramatically. I had the alternator checked and it was fine apparently, so they replaced the battery. All has been goodm, until now 4 months down the track, its doing it again :( And it is also leaking what appears to be cooland at my feet when I am driving. Its like having my own little swimming pool at my feet.
Any one else experianced similar problems? Any guesstaments on what it may cost to fix???

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
Probably ur regulator bushes on the alt as to y its throwing the batt light on. easy to check the bushes, take out the regulator its got a plug to it at the top of ur alt, 2screws holding it in, 30-40 to replace, just check if there is any bush left

Where is the leak coming from? its most probably the heater tap, they are quiet common to snap where the hoses join, one will be broken

DOH didnt see it was leakin at ur feet, it would be heater core

Last edited:

D3V14NT

Likes Shiny Things
Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VP BT1 V6
Is it definitely coolant or just water? If it's plain water it's most likely a blocked drain pipe. Drain pipe can be accessed from under the car in the transmission tunnel (easier than removing the heater box). Just poke something up into it to remove any blockage. If it's coolant then it'll most likely be heater core or tap or hoses. Have a look under there and see if you can notice water running down the two heater core pipes from the firewall. If the water is coming from there look at the heater tap/heater tap hoses. If it isn't coming from there then it'll be the heater core. Hope for your sake it's the drain pipe as it's the cheapest/easiest to fix!