Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vp 5 speed clutch fork taps on bellhousing

vg ute v6

Reaction score
Members Ride
vg ute v6 5 speed
i got a vp 5 speed and the clutch fork taps on bellhousing, i've only had it a month a brought it with a stuffed clutch since been replaced, it only does it at about 2000 to 3500 revs at a guess, but is really annoying.
any help would be great,
thanks

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
This means that the pivot ball height (inside the bellhousing) is incorrectly adjusted. For this to happen i'd bet u installed a heavy duty clutch yes?

So if you can put up with it, do so... if not, its a gearbox out job

vg ute v6

Reaction score
Members Ride
vg ute v6 5 speed
hey yeah i put heavy duty clutch in it..... so this pivot ball how do you adjust that, i have to its doing my head in lol
thanks for the info

slimman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY10 Wagon And VQ SII
This is generally caused by the two absorbsion rubbers being worn out on the fork, where the release bearing sits. it prevents the fork from centering properly beacuse there is too much play, then rattles on the belhousing.

If you google vn clutch fork rattle, the excedy clutch site has a good explaination of where these rubbers sit.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
To adjust its quite easy as its like a threaded rod lossen of locking nut and adjust

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
In regards to the rubbers for the clutch fork, i wouldnt even bother to be honest.... Tried putting in new rubbers- flogged out in no time. Then went to the trouble of machining up some nylon like plastic (i forget the name now...), put them on and flogged them out too.

So in the end i just chucked the fork in my bench vice and gently pressed it til it could every so lightly hold on to the thrust bearing.. problem solved

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
mine used to do this but only over a very small rpm range, when i changed the clutch i filed out the slot in the bell housing just a little. also, what condition are the engine and trans mount in? also have a good look at the harmonic balancer.

Krisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
D22 St-r Navara
could also be a snapped/bent clutch fork . sheared mine off without trying

vg ute v6

Reaction score
Members Ride
vg ute v6 5 speed
i replaced the two little nipples as you guys said and measured the pivot ball, put it back together and bam all good no freaking rattle.
but.... there is a now a vibration through the gearbox tailshaft area, everything is done up tight what could i have not lined up right????
thnks for the help so far