Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP Calais battery warning light, wiper function ect... im stumped

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
this is day 3 with this problem. start the car up no problems, have an optima d34 750cca battery. the battery warning light stays on and theres reduced power to some of the controls of the car. the wiper speeds all work but at less than half there normal speed. the climate control plays up a little too, it wont let the air trough the forward facing ducts. everything else is fine the car runs smooth, all lights and indicators work even the stereo and amp are good. once the car gets to about a quarter on the temp gauge (10 mins of warm up driving) the engine warning light flicks at the blink of an eye and then it and the battery light disappear and all problems are gone..... any ideas?

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
was reading another thread on battery warning light. could my problem also be the fuseable link wire coming off the positive terminal? (brown wire with black plug about 2 inches long)

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Could be the fusible link.

Also check the battery terminals. One of mine came loose, even though it seemed to be clamped up tight, and first thing in the morning when I started the car, things just went nuts. Wipers wouldn't work, speedo and tacho used to go mental, headlights wouldnt work, dash lights flicker on and off, choppy idle etc etc.

Redline16

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII SSV Redline Manual
Check all earthing points too. Ive had battery light problem twice in my VP calais, once was the fusible link and the other was the voltage regulator

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
think i may have worked it out. took off the voltage reg/ brush unit off the alternator and it seems to be warn pretty low. might explain why on cold start up one brush isnt touching very well and when it heats up metal expansion gets it connected again... thats my theory anyway. at 45 bucks for a new one its silly not to. tested the battery after the light went off (15 mins of driving) and got 12.5 from the battery and 14 off the alt at idol. gonna buy one tomorrow morning then update my findings.... thanks for the replies people

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
tested the fuseable link, thats all good. made sure to sand any corrosion off the contacts on the alternator and wrapped my exposed wires with electrical black tape (covers disintegrated) . compare the pair... as you can see it was pretty well worn. no warning light now. thanks for the help people... $45 bucks
IMG_3150.jpg