Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

help removing my steering wheel

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
im having trouble taking the wheel off. i know that im supposed to unscrew the nut but not remove it, but i cant seem to be able to move the wheel itself. how do you take it off?

B

BR377

There is one rather large nut in the very center, unscrew it and take it off, the shaft has teeth so it wont wobble or turn you just gotta pull the wheel in a straight line away from the column. Sometimes it takes a bit of force!

Lexx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II S/C S
Just a tip - when you're taking your steering wheel off, don't remove the nut on the shaft until your wheel has become unstuck. Undo it enough to allow you to free up the wheel.
Sometimes the wheel is on extremely tight and people don't realise that they're pulling this thing towards themselves as hard as they can.
I don't know how many times I tell people this and they don't listen. They often end up wearing the steering wheel and sometimes have lovely red stuff flowing from their noses!!
:rofl:

wildss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vnss
i saw this happen once this kid that was working in a car yard was taking my mates steering wheel off his vb sle that he was trading in for a vl calais 5l.
he was smacking it from behind real hard when all of a sudden it came off and hit him in the nose.
my mate and i just started pissing ourselves laughing while this kid was doing his best not to cry. i still laugh when i picture it.

newo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
You could alternatively hire a steering whell puller...

venomous

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn Commodore
its all well and funny to think about, but it will bloody hurt if it happens..

keep the NUT on there, just bang it from behind over and over, dont have to hit to hard, eventually it will come off.

for the horn, just stick the black wire on the NEGATIVE and the red on the POSITIVE, or if it shows - or + signs, + is positive and - is negative.

make sure the boss kit that you put on is on far enough for it to touch the little metal thing on the shaft area, its like a little button you can push in and out.

Brocky_05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX exc & VP exc
Yep Iwas a victim off a steering wheel attack..lol cut my top and bottom lip.

slimman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY10 Wagon And VQ SII
The easy way is to go to an auto parts store (even supercheap) and buy either a universal (gear) puller or a steering wheel puller for ~$10-20.