Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Air Conditioner

C

CLMCKENZIE

I have a VP commodore. The aircon fan will only work on 3 or 4. Any ideas on how I would fix this:)

V

VP5LtrCalais

sounds like you could have a dry connection in the switch ... the quickest fix would possibly be to try and spray maybe some contact cleaner onto the switch but that may not work, or maybe replace your switch

Damian

auc05l

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina V6
Correct me if i'm wrong but youd think they would have a fan resister there somewhere giving different resistances for different fan speeds. Maybe this unit is shagged?

newo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Correct me if I'm wrong lol :p but I think *think* the switch is a resistor, otherwise known as a potentiometer.

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
No there is a resistor that can cause this problem. Bit of a pain to get too though. You know where your wipers are. That black plastic that runs along there. You have to remove that. Then roughly in line with the glove box you should be able to see a cap with two screws holding it in place. That's your fan resistor.

PFS

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VF2 SSV 6.2 V8
CLMCKENZIE said:
I have a VP commodore. The aircon fan will only work on 3 or 4. Any ideas on how I would fix this:)

One of your relays under the bonnet is stuffed, which I found out after replacing the switch.
I had the same problem about a year ago in my VN SS.
The relay is about $40 and it fixed the problem.

PS

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
I agree with 2fast2furiousdude. When you're fan switch only works on 3 and 4, then 99 times out of 100 it's your fan speed resistor. Same thing happened to my VS and it's the same design. I went to a wreckers and pulled one out of a VN for free. If it was a relay then it shouldn't work on any setting.