Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Turbo 700 trans help

GRPAVL

Reaction score
Website
homepages.ihug.co.nz
Members Ride
1987 VL Calais Walkinshaw
I found a few posts on here about the vn t700 trans's but no definitive answers. If i missed it please refer me to the post as it has surely been covered before.

I am throwing a vn 304/t700 into my VL commodore running the factory vl calais dash.

Pic 1/2/3
The factory drive appears to be an electronic setup to me which is no good for the VL Calais mechanical drive dash. I found one site that says to remove the sender (pics 1/2) leaving the drive itself (pic 3). I know my speedo cable wont reach the drive so I will need a new cable and found this somewhere on the net.

Use a speedo cable borgwarner,2speed power glide To ht holden etc
Early t700 has same screw on backing nut as the powerglides and early borgwarner gear boxes

other option I was thinking of was is there an extension someone knows of that will convert etc. Dont wantto have to get the v6 conversion box is all.

Pic 4
also on the side of the box is a white 4 pin plug. I assume two are for the lockup and 2 for the reverse. Does anyone know which is which pin?

Regards

Q

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 1,490
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 974
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 879
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 1,585

GRPAVL

Reaction score
Website
homepages.ihug.co.nz
Members Ride
1987 VL Calais Walkinshaw
Also found this snippet on calaisturbo

You may also need to get a VN V8 dash as it has the speed sensor in it that the auto elec will need to make things work - saves buying the part that replaces it for over $200! You dont need to install a VN dash into your VL but you will need the speed sensor that is in the VN dash for everything to be wired up correctly.

I have a VN dash but what does the speed sensor look like. The back of the cluser just looks like a normal speedo cable drive to me (does this mean it has been removed post me getting it?

If thats the case I dont mind wiring it up to connect the vl dash if possible?

EFI304

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl calais
Hey. I'm doing the same conversion. Decided to use a right angle drive that screws onto gearbox and new cable to suit vl dash. A bit over $200 from castlemain rod shop. Depending on diff ratio and tyre size, you might want to change speedo gears also.