Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power Steering Pump

05 VZ SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 5.7 M6 Silver
Hi all...Does anyone know how hard it is to recondition the power steering pump with all the seals etc? I can pick up a seal kit for like 15 bucks...But don't know how hard it is to do...

Daz05

DJ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Mate the power steer unit is not too bad to do yourself. Go to HOLDEN dealer, get yourself a power steer seal kit. You will get change out of $10. Remove the unit from your vehicle. On the engine side of the unit, you need to pop out the big "C" clip that holds the end plate in and also holds all the guts inside it. If you have a vice, use it, save ya looking like a cow with a gun. Once in the vice, you want to get the likes of a "G" clamp and just put a little downward pressure on the end plate, you will see it move downwards which will release the pressure on the end plate, then pop the "C" clip out. If you have a little "sucker", that can help to lift the end plate out.
Now looking inside the unit, you will see 2 large seals, on the body, remove them, then as you take the rest of the guts out, keep an eye on the way they come out. (They have to go in, the same way or it wont work.) On the pressure plate, you will see markings (3 of them, diamond shape), then you will see the "ring" and inside that is the "rotor" with about 10 flat veins, then the "thrust plate". BEFORE you can remove all the guts, you need to remove the small "C" clip on the centre shaft. Carefull not to bend out of shape. Now slip everything out, the 2 pins just pull out. Now with just the shaft in there, give it a light tap, it should drop out.
On the front of the unit, remove that seal, careful not to scar where the seal sits in the body. Also remove the valve (where the fluid flows into the unit), keep a little pressure on that, as it is spring loaded) Remove that seal and replace. (With the new seals, lubein fluid or vaseline).
SEQUENCE: big "C" ring, end plate, spring, pressure plate, rig, rotor & vanes, thrust plate & 2 pins.
With the "rotor" it has i think 10 vanes, LOOK CAREFULLY AT THESE, one shiney edge and one slightly rough) The vanes need to have shiney edge, replaced back with shiney edge towards the outside, as these run against the "ring".
Putting back together, pins, thrust plate rotor & vanes, ring, pressure plate & small "C" clip on shaft. With the new big "seals" if i remember right, once the "pressure plate" is in, you can put the new seal in (or maybe just before you put the pressure plate in), once that is in, then the last big "seal" then place "end plate" in, little pressure with clamp and clip in the big "C" ring.
Bolt back on your vehicle. With CORRECT fluid, fill resevoir, turn steering wheel, lock to lock as the fluid settles in, hit ignition and top fluid up to the recommended level. It may sound a bit shitty at first, WATCH FLUID and turn wheel lock to lock, it may shudder a little,but that SHOULD settle once fluid does.
I am NO EXPERT, i just like to know my own vehicle but this is how i went about reco-ing my unit and saving my empty wallet lol.
$10 beats + 1 Hour = SAVING THE $$$$$$ Hopefully that can help you out.
For my VT, with 370,000K,s, the steering is like brand new.