Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How and where is the tachometer connected to the powertrain?

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Series 1, VS Equipe S2 and VS Executive
How is the tachometer connected to the powertrain? I have a feeling that it is showing an over-reading but as yet I can't find any reference to how and where it is connected to the powertrain in the Gregory WS manual

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I believe it gets it signal from the DFI module.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
vn its connected from dfi through engine loom through the firewall and out the plug by the ecu that joins to the dash harness

Reaction score
Members Ride
So this sounds like an electronic re-calibration procedure so how do I do that or who do I call?

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
theres no recalibration its just wired straight from dfi to dash.how far out do you think it is

Reaction score
Members Ride
The tacho seems very lively and will dramatically wind up and drop back quickly so you could say overly sensitive, this is with a VN V6 in a Ford Transit whereas my VS Commodore is much more sedate and doesn't go over 2000rpm much in any gear. The Vn V6/Transit can wind up to nearly 4000rpm in any gear and then drop down as quickly. I have played around with the kickdown cable adjustment but it's the speed and extent of the wind up/down revs is what I'm wondering about. The size of the rpm indicator in a Transit is much bigger so i suppose that could have something to do with it. I could take a video of it tomorrow when I'm out driving

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
What was originally fitted in the Transit? If it was a 4 cyl engine than the speedo calibration will probably be wrong as it's expecting 4 pulses instead of the 6 it's getting now.

Reaction score
Members Ride
A 4 cyl 2L engine, yes so what you say Immortality would make sense! I suppose I'll just have to live with it. thanks for your input guys