Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cylinder Head Bolt No.5 Is Leaking I'm Sure But Need Abit Of Help

Newbie1991

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive V6 3.8,VP Exceutive S2 3.8L 5speed
IMG20161025140330.jpgDrives Side
Im sure it coming from there as i cleaned it then start car again and waited till it started to leak out is there a easy way to fix or just replace all cylinder head bolts all is it something else any help would be great cheers

Last edited:

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
I am not an expert but first: That's not a cylinder head bolt. It's a stud bolt with a nut securing the exhaust manifold to the side of the cylinder head. If you really had a leaking cylinder head bolt it would be much worse prognosis. Presumably you have checked that the nut is appropriately tightened. Gregorys says 15 - 35 Nm for those nuts. Not too tight cos it's got to cope with lots of expansion when it gets hot. Most likely there is some warping, wear, pitting or corrosion to the manifold face or the side of the cylinder head. To assess, the manifold needs to come off so that the mating surfaces can be cleaned and examined. the face of the manifold can be machined flat and clean. I believe that they can be re-assembled to the cylinder head with an exhaust gasket and that may help if the surfaces aren't too bad. It also helps stop the manifold from cracking which is a common problem on the passenger side. I would consult your friendly local exhaust shop/mechanic first. If you have tools you could do the disassembly and re-assembly

Newbie1991

Reaction score
Members Ride
The pic is meant to point to the bolt under the stud bolt where there is little trace of red oil coming out zoom in on pic

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
oh. Oops. Red oil? Could it be power steer oil? Looks oily above and around the edge of the manifold. Good luck with it anyway

mantaray56

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 Z
Don't some of those head bolts need sealant on the threads, when they poke through the water gallery, to stop those leaks.

Newbie1991

Reaction score
Members Ride
Oil or heated up sealant is definitely coming out of bolt so can I just remove that bolt and replace it and put new sealant on or will stuff things more

Newbie1991

Reaction score
Members Ride
Or can anyone tell me if it is possible for the cylinder head bolt to leak power steering fluid or transmission fluid since it a reddish in color oil there cheers for the other replys

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
What's the hose at the right in the photo? Is it a Power steering or transmission cooler hose? Either will have red fluid so maybe it's that hose that is leaking under pressure?

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
Or can anyone tell me if it is possible for the cylinder head bolt to leak power steering fluid or transmission fluid since it a reddish in color oil there cheers for the other replys

I can't see that this is possible. I would investigate power steering hose leaking as suggested by chrisp. Maybe you've got it sorted by now?

LordMayhem

Here For A Good Time!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
Mate you've got a leaking power steering hose or pump there.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk