Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

twin throttle body setup

commy92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP WAGON V6
im not sure if this would work on an n/a system. Ive seen it in action on a twin supercharged v6 motor. see imaged attached. Would this work or would there be no gain in performance.

Attachments

• twin tbs.JPG
    twin tbs.JPG
    7.4 KB · Views: 661

statesman_wagon89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Statesman Wagon( written off) VN calias 5 speed
The best intakes are the ones that have individual runners into each intake port, like this one (see attachment)

Attachments

• cobra-mt.jpg
    cobra-mt.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 785

commy92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP WAGON V6
so your saying a tb for each inlet??

fabz

I Can Do Science Me
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown V6 VT commodore 5 speed
commy92 said:
so your saying a tb for each inlet??

That would flood the engine ha ha and be very expensive!!!:dance:

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Cant see why it would not work on an n/a set up. Cant really say what sort of performance gain to expect but it would certainly add a lot of WOW factor to the engine bay. Did you see it on the twin supercharged gemini in the latest street machine? I am thinking at doing the same thing to my factory supercharged v6, i need to do some more research though!

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
fabz said:

How did you work out that it would flood the engine? The throttle body does not supply fuel to the engine. A throttle plate for each port with long runners is the ideal set up.

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
fabz said:

i am also not understanding how 8 throttle bodys would flood a motor. what about some sr20 turbos's have quad throttle bodys. i would think that if you have a throttle body for each runner you would get an even amount of air into each cylinder. wouldn't that be better..
An N/A motor will only suck what ever air it needs..
the only way a motor could be flooded with air is if it is supercharged or turbo's and there is not enough fuel.. which would be called running too lean

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
statesman_wagon89 said:
The best intakes are the ones that have individual runners into each intake port, like this one (see attachment)

You guys all missed the fact that, the manifold pictured in the post is not a individual runner manifold, it's a single plane manifold with long runners, there would be a cover for that manifold that seals it up and a throttle body or two attacted to the cover :)

Here are a couple of designs used for V6/8/12/16 etc IR manifolds

The V8 Supercars would run something with short runners, something like the black one

Attachments

• pht20020401fi_p10.jpg
    pht20020401fi_p10.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 2,812
  • pht20020401fi_p05.jpg
    pht20020401fi_p05.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 1,843
W

Wonderboy

i think they work out the volumetric effiency under the most common rev range or something to figure out the width and legth and shape of the trumpets, you would have to ask an engineer or someone who knows what they are talking about to figure that kind of stuff out.

geta

Reaction score
the length and size of the runners depends on what rev range you want max power. As the intake valve closes, especially with a lumpy cam, it creates a shockwave going back up the runner, once it reaches the end of the runner, it will travel back down the runner in the same manner, even though there is an open gap at the end. The goal is to have the air shockwave reach the valve again just as it is about to open. Having smaller diameter runners will increase the speed of the air, however you will need longer ones, or you can have a shorter one and work out that the air will "bounce" back and forth, say twice before the valve opens again. A larger runner will have more air behind it.

This is by no means a complete explaination and is only how *I* understand it.

-dave