Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how to replace tail shaft bearing

C

crouchy69

i need to know how to replace the center tail shaft bearing need to know asap thanks chaps

Johnny_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SS Ute
Did one on a VR last weekend, not too hard but a bit tricky.

Firstly you need to pull the tail shaft out. There are four bolts holding the tailshaft to the diff after the rear universal joint and there is a bracket holding the centre bearing to the vehicle. Once these are out just pull and the whole thing will come out.

You will then need to use an allen key to seperate the shaft just after the centre bearing.

From here there is a cirlip holding the joining part together. (Don't know what the technical name is) Pull out the circlip and knock the shaft through. This part provides a bit of backward and forward movement in the tailshaft so it is well lubricated and comes off fairly easily.

After this, the bearing is the next challenge. There is another circlip that needs to be removed before you can free the bearing. As it is a push fit, it takes a bit of force. Took me and the old man a little while on this one. Again, the best method was holding the bearing and knocking the shaft through. It did take a fair amount of force though.

Then it is just everything in reverse. Its pretty foolproof putting it back together because the circlip won't go back into place if the bearing isn't pushed in far enough and the metal covers for the rubber dust seal will only fit one way.

A few tips: Always use mild steel or a softer metal between your hammer and your parts. I always like to smoothen the ends down on the bar to make sure there are no burrs and the load is being spread evenly. Don't know if this one really has much of an effect, but I did mark the tailshaft all the way through to ensure it all went back together in the same position. Each part is probably individually balanced, but just in case...

Hope this helps.