Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help Dash Lights Not Working

saint_matrix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive
Hello everyone. Once again I have another problem. I was blackening my tail lights today with my mates, and after spraying them and putting them back on the car the reverse light didnt work, and the dash and console dont light up at all!. I found that the reverse light fuse was fried, but i couldnt locate the dash fuse to see if that was fried before the rain pissed down and i had to stop. Does anyone know where the dash light fuse is located (or what i look for in the fuse box descriptions) or any other reason why they would have stopped.. I dont have a clue why anything went wrong... I removed lights no hassle, and put them in no hassle. Thankyou

lsprewell

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Exec to Calais
fuses blow for a reason, you need to find out what caused the short, The fuse for instrument illimunation/radio etc etc is generally no1 fuse under inside the car, but check your manual

The cause could of been anything, but dont assume it was nothing, cause something caused the fuses to blow, wether what you did was a coinsidence remains for you to find out.

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Series 1 Executive Sedan
Instrument illumination runs through Fuse 1 and Fuse 7 (count them from the passenger side). Fuse 1 also runs the parkers, trip computer (if you have one) and the radio (I've blown it on mine once when the radio shorted out).

Fuse 7 is JUST instrument illumination (rated at 5A).

Can't see any reason why it's pooed itself though. Could just be chance that they happened at the same time.

vpbt1ss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS manual
does your car perhaps have a trailer wiring at all could be todo with that

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
yeah vpbt1, thats a valid point... if something shorted the brake lamps on the trailer connector then it could blow a fuse... dosnt your fusebox lid have a guide???? anyway just check all the fuses... if its not one of them your going to have fun lol... i had one of the wires in my wiring loom exposed to ALOT more current that it was inteded to... (close to 200-300amps, not sure exactly but it was a crazy ammount) and it actually blew the wire inside (sperated)

my entire instrument cluster died due to a 12V rail having about 1/2 a copper shread left... was putting throuhg about 0.12V
had to spend $70 to get the loom diagnosed and the peice fixed... just hope to god you didnt do the same thing :p because my lighting was screwed aswell

saint_matrix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive
Ill buy some new fuses tomorrow. Thanks. Another notch to the problem is. None of the back lights (reverse light, parker lights etc) turn on at all UNTIL i press the brakes... AND all the lights are more dimmed then before. They dont show bright at all. A guy at my work said that water may have shorted it, coz it was wet the day i did the tail lights and water could have easily got onto it.

vpbt1ss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS manual
also if they are dim check the earth to the tail lights can also be rusted

saint_matrix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive
Hello guys. Good news! Problem fixed. Im not sure exactly which one it was but I replaced the globes, then re checked the fuses to find the first one blown (wasnt blown when initially checked) so I must have either been careless at the start or it reblew when changing the bulbs or whatever. Thankyou guys VERY VERY much for your help... If i didnt come here i prob would have paid some electrician $100 to fix them.

Another question off the topic. My car at the moment has stock suspension and im planning to lower it. What exactly do I need to do so. Im going for the lowest legal height and dont have a clue what to buy. Thanks

harlietaladucon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore wagon
parker dash and tail light fuse keeps blowing one after the other anyone know why

parker dash and tail light fuse keeps blowing one after the other anyone know why