Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Auto To Manual Conversion

saint_matrix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive
Hello, I am seriously considering to do an auto to manual conversion. What type of tools do I need (hoist etc?) and what type of talents. Do I have to be a mechanic to be able to do it? Thanks

saint_matrix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive
Or how much would someone here do it for. I live in Melbourne. Thanks

nathans1987

Reaction score
Website
4316.awardspace.com
Members Ride
VX SS 5.7L M6
dont need anything special hoist to lift it out and a socket set and screwdrivers. then you need a lot of time, probably easier to buy a manual and sell yours unless you already have a wreck or gearbox already.

dodgy

Reaction score
not even a hoist, did mine with car on stands and a trolley jack

saint_matrix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive
geta said:
buy my manual vn instead :p

Are you selling your manual VN? How much, or would you be interested in a swap, thats if you were being serious. Thanks

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
saint_matrix said:
Hello, I am seriously considering to do an auto to manual conversion. What type of tools do I need (hoist etc?) and what type of talents. Do I have to be a mechanic to be able to do it? Thanks
you can do it on stands or ramps. i prefer ramps. you should only need sockets and some screwdrivers. make sure you have everything you need before doing the conversion. make sure you have the right flywheel and dont forget to put a spigot bearing/bush in. the only other trouble you should have would be getting to the pedal box bolts in the engine bay and the bolt on the end of the steering column shaft. could be done in a day but allow 2 just in case

nathans1987

Reaction score
Website
4316.awardspace.com
Members Ride
VX SS 5.7L M6
i dont like ramps coz you cant get the car up them unless you have very long ones or some type of extension(a plank of wood) without scraping. on stands you just jack the fromt up and put them under :D.

saint_matrix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive
Would any of you guys want to do it for a Auto transmission which has done less than or done 5,000kms since bought (reco'd) which is still under 40,000km warranty. You could prob sell that and make a fair bit ;). I live 15mins from Melbourne City, but can travel if more convenient.