Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vz alloytech

VNV6VENGEANCE

VeNgeance
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Turbo
Does anyone know who i could contact in order to find out the rough **** around to stick the vz alloytech engine into the vn. I can't seem to find anyone that stocks the engines and would like to get a rough price on the conversion. eg. if the price of the alloytech 6 is the same as an 8 it isn't worth my money.

commy92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP WAGON V6
its gonna be alot cheaper to put an 8 in rather then the alloytec. Just think.. 8s are in every second vn... seen many alloytecs in them?? Its sprt of virtually uncharted in terms of a straight up conversion because there would be alot of custom making things i think. Anyway if you choose to do it keep us informed with everything you do. I personally am very interested. (im looking into options for a diffrent engine for my wags..)

F

foammedia

They made about 8000 injected 304's every year so even way back when they were new one in 10 vn's or more was a 5 liter and it's going to be by far the least complicated swap. Now you hardy ever, almost never see a V8 VN in the wrecking yards but you see zillions of V6's so as with all other Holdens in the past once they reach a certain age the V8's out number the 6's. It's allways been like that. Try finding a LH torana with a 6 in it now days :) but really the vast majority of them were 6's. Now the average speed of the Toranas left on the road would be close to 13 seconds on the 1/4.

Oh yeah, the point of the story is, you might as well be one of guys that does the swap :) so your Commodore lives a long and happy wrecking yard free life (and put it on lpg : ))

VNV6VENGEANCE

VeNgeance
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Turbo
Yeah well i kind of wanted to steer away from 8's . the whole power increase is great but i'd rather my car be low key and still eat 8's. I knew the conversion would be unheard of but imagine the lightest , quickest v6 in one of the lightest models, its like the alloytech was made for the vn haha

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
VNV6VENGEANCE said:
Yeah well i kind of wanted to steer away from 8's . the whole power increase is great but i'd rather my car be low key and still eat 8's. I knew the conversion would be unheard of but imagine the lightest , quickest v6 in one of the lightest models, its like the alloytech was made for the vn haha

My reccomendation would be to wait a year or so.
With the VE coming out alloytechs will be much more common so you could look for a 200kw VE alloytech at a wreckers or something for a decent price and then do a conversion...If you have your heart set on it of course

VNV6VENGEANCE

VeNgeance
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Turbo
i don't have my heart set on it my vn is already supercharged but i was thinking of turning it into a possible turbo project. i don't think too many turbo conversions have been done with the alloytech

F

foammedia

The 190kw alloy tech makes about 130 rwkw with a good exhaust on it, a 5 liter with a good exhaust is going to make more like 150rwkw and yep will weigh a bit more and they might even both cover the 1/4 mile in almost the same time in a VN, but for the bolt in no engineer type install that it is, the 5 liter is the easy way to go faster

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
foammedia said:
The 190kw alloy tech makes about 130 rwkw with a good exhaust on it, a 5 liter with a good exhaust is going to make more like 150rwkw and yep will weigh a bit more and they might even both cover the 1/4 mile in almost the same time in a VN, but for the bolt in no engineer type install that it is, the 5 liter is the easy way to go faster

Doesnt a stock 5.0L make about 121rwkw-122rwkw? The one in the VN SS, VP SS, VR SS and VS SS that is?
Stock alloytecs on other forums are getting dyno readouts of closer to 140rwkw stock.
VN-VS SS commodores all do 0-100 in around 7.2 to 7.34seconds, I would expect a VN with an Alloytec 190 to considerably faster than that?
But i agree a 5.0L is an easier way to go faster but the alloytech is a good way to be different, and it can be cheaper in the long run for fuel and insurance?