Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cracks in CAT

Apoc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN-Series I-6-90
Just replaced my CAT and am suprised to see that it was still in there. The flanges had little hairline fractures in the welds about say 70% of the way around i could see the sooty deposits there where it had been leaking. So i scored another one from the wreakers for $45 and i cleaned it up and checked out the welds. Same style of crack only about 5% this time though and one end only. So i took to it with the welder after taking off the heat shield sorted it right out. Whack the heat sheild back on, done.

Thought id post this up as it seems that it could be a common problem, nothin else really wrong with either original, or CAT from wreaker, few welding rods are cheaper than a new CAT :)

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Yea, I just got a used cat off the wreckers for $60. No rattles, perfect flanges, just a little surface rust. Two new gaskets cost me $6, and off it goes! Well, tomorrow. If it doesn't rain. I'll let you know if it all works out how it's supposed to :p