Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Got a set of bonnet struts 2day need help!

chopsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S2/ Original XRGT
As said i got a set of bonnet struts today along with the things that connect them to the gaurd and bonnet.I have the holes in my bonnet for the struts but the little ball thing that screws into the hole on my bonnet is to small has anyone had this problem ? have forgotten a part ? if not can someone help me out on how i can attach it to my bonnet.Any help or idea's would be greatly appreciated as i want to get these on my car a.s.a.p.

g00gz

Reaction score
Members Ride
'08 Accord Euro
I see you have a vn, i never knew vn's had holes in the bonnett for the gas struts..? Are you sure the screw things are from a commodore? Possible solution: just spot weld around the the base when the ball thing is in and that should hold it.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
the vn has the hole, but not the nut.you will have too either get the ball welded on, play around with getting a nut down behind the hole, or pick up a vp bonnet.

chopsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S2/ Original XRGT
Thanks fellas i think i'll try and get a nut in their first i ws chatting with acouple of others last night and they said it's possible to get a nut in the bonnet as they have done it.It's a bit of mucking around be you can do it i been told.

chopsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S2/ Original XRGT
I got my bonnet struts on today i'm happy with them only problem is the drivers side one is bowed alittle and the strut dont stay up but the passanger side one is perfect.Anyway i have some open ended spanners that have socket ends on the other end of them which made bolting the ball things to the bonnet.I just put the nut into the socket end of the spanner and put it in the bonnet and lined the nut up with the hole then once it was lined up i just screwed the ball thing into it.It was to easy i took about 10mins each side i'm glad i remmembered i have a few of thr spanners i have that have an open end and a socket on the other end cause i dont know how i would have gone trying to use a open ender or a ring spanner cause i dont think you would get it in there.Anyway i thought i'd just give you all an update on my thread as i hope it might help someone out in the future.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
ok now i need help with these. i dont have the ball thing that goes onto the bonnet because i couldnt get it off the vp bonnet. can i use anything else?

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Why dont you go to Holden and buy the ball ends?? can't be more than a few bucks

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Go to Holden and see! get the part number for the VP and order it, compare it to later models, whatever you want. Cant see why they would change it at least untill after the VS. It should be in stock, who's going to buy one:p? apart from you

chopsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S2/ Original XRGT
Same thing happend to me i got one ball end off a vr the other one striped so i got another ball end off a vp they look excactly the same