Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing Antenna on 1991 VN

tep_aus

Reaction score
Hello All,

Our antenna broke after a tree branch collected it.

Does anyone have instructions on replacing the antenna? - I have a purchased a new one (aerpro). Also, should I fit a noise filter to it? - our old one used to pick up engine noise at times.

Many thanks in advance.

89vncommy

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VN Caladore
Not sure how to fit it, but yeah put the noise filter on it..

I want to replace my antenna cause it is not going up/down when you hit the button... You can hear the motor working, but the arial doesn't move ...

V

vn25det

u need to remove the inner plastic part of the guard. then from the its simple there is just 1 10mm head bolt that holds it in, undo it with a spanner, unclip the earth strap which is just a female spade, disconect the black areal cable (same connection as at head deck) then just slide the whole ariel down out of the gaurd. all done and just install in reverse. when i upgraded my manual to electric it took all of 10min to do. hardest part is undoing the screws that hold the inner guard on as they rust and strip out easy.

tep_aus

Reaction score
Many thanks for your replies.

Did you replace the cable right back to the radio?

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
All you need is a mast if its been hit by a branch, not an entire aerial.

Mast = $30, Aerial = $90.

Plus Aerpro aerials are not fully compatible with the VN module and 8 out of 10 times the aerial will go straight back down after it goes up. The Aerpro aerial is VN-VS or something? It suits a few different models anyway, but is not compatible with all the modules. The VN alone had 2 or 3 different modules in its production, in which I know the one in the Series 2 (1991) VN's is not compatible as I have found out with my own aerpro aerial.

And imo a noise filter is not necessary at all...

tep_aus

Reaction score
Antenna is not an electric one, but a lock down type.

guss

Reaction score
Website
users.bigpond.net.au
Members Ride
VN Calais
1. Jack the car up on the left side, it will give you plenty of room to get that guard liner released
2. undo the antenna mount bolt you will be able to see
3. undo the earth strap which is a tiny phillips head screw near the antenna mount
4. release the trims near the passengers foot on the left side, you should be able to see the coaxial connection, unplug it and pull the cable out from under the guard, there's a rubber grommet that the cable runs through but should pull out when you pull the cable from under the guard.

all the best.

wes_v8

WES_VN
Reaction score
Website
streetrides.20.forumer.com
Members Ride
04 Vz Sv6 6 speed
yea i installed my elec antanna myself so u should be able 2 lol, all u have 2 do is jack ur car up at the front pass side, take the inner plastic off, and u can see what 2 do from there but like what other ppl have said thats what u do pretty easy job

mischf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive S2
I got a new aerial from K-Mart for $1!