Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

fuel pump?

bendez

Bendez
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 93 S2
ok here i go. last week put a vr motor into my vp cos the old one **** itself. had trouble from the start. finally get everything in when to try and start it got smoke coming from the accelorator cable, didnt have a proper earth. fixed that, then had 4 days at the auto elect fixing the other problems such as no power at the coil related to the old gas system ect. finally get it going. running well. then two days later just stalls on me, thought maybe it had run out of petrol put 10l in still didnt start. theres power to the leads and injectors but no huming of the fuel pump when bout to start, thinking fuel pump. but not sure, could it be the crank angle sensor. being a different model engine and all. just seems to much of a coincidence for it to be the fuel after just changing the engine.

cohn

VN28CN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais Turbo
If you think it's a fuel pump try hitting the fuel tank to get it going again, that normally works for a while, or go get some aero start/carby cleaner down the intake while cranking it to see if it will start, or remove the supply linew to the rail and see if you getting fuel to there.if you are but the car will start on aero start then it's the injector pulse. injectors are negative;y triggered so even when powers there if the computer ain't giving it a pulse signal it won't inject fuel.

Baldyman

Baldyman
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive & Honda City
I have similar faults.

I am having similar problems with my 92 VP executive. As there is no pump noise at startup I first thaught that it was a faulty pump, but first checked the fuses and relays to eliminate the easy stuf. Then I took out the pump, only to find it in good working order.
I have since determined that there is power to the pump,and it remains a good current untill the pump is back on the line, and then it is only for about a milisecond. As soon as it puts a load onto the ellectrics, they (ellectrics) shut down. An ellectrician friend suggests that it could be an ellectrical safety system that is built in that cuts fuel when the car is in an accident. That is my next thing to check, and it sounds like it could be something similar for you.
Good luck.
Baldyman

cruzncommo

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5spd
hmm mate if u had a 93VP it may have had a VR s1 motor to start with lol, i know mine does. sounds like your fuel pump is stuffed, smash it and buy a new one.