Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

leak coolant and oil from Engine?

andyli

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn executives
hi, guys, I found recently a stain on the floor that is a mixture of Green coolant and yellow oil, basically the color is green. what do you recon, I do need to add coolant very week, went to a mechanic and quoted the rediator.is there a hole in the engine, the stain is not very big anyway.

Burnout_bro

Reaction score
Members Ride
HYPER VX SS/ R33 GTST
the leaks could be seperate, is your car overheating and loosing coolant ? it could be many things, water pump on its way out need new hose clamps could be a hole in the radiator, its hard to say what it could be and for the oil as well. do u mean that the oil has mixed with the coolant or what? u might just have a slight oil leak and the coolant might have leaked around the same area as the oil did. find where your leaks are coming from then you will no what the problem is.

andyli

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn executives
yes I just change the water pump and the leak is getting better(before cost 5 litters a week, now 5 litters 2 months), the coolant is mixed with oil(engine oil not the trany red one I sassume). but from the position of the stain on the floor it is at the far end of the engine not the front. as far as I am concerned the radiator is at the front of the VN, so when the mechanic say it was hte radiator and 400 to change it I doubt it.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
it's common enough for the rear main seal to leak on the V6, if there is a slight coolant leak somewhere at the back then you get your mix. i'd put money on the rear seal and i'd be looking at intake gaskets/ welch plugs around the back of the engine. which series engine do you have?

jswan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive 89'
welsh plugs at the back of the engine, mine went. only leaked coolent under pressure. check those, if ur motor is series 1 id would have to say it is them from my experience with series 1 motors.

andyli

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn executives
mine was seriese 2 I think, built in sep 1991. if it is the rear main how much will it cost.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
it's a common problem, i wouldn't worry about it. it's cheaper to get a drip tray for the garage. unless it strats pissing out oil leave it. it could also be the sump gasket around the rear main but again, not worth the hassle unless it's bad. both require lifting the engine or dropping the sub frame i'd sort the coolant leak though, that gona become an issue if it's not sorted

andyli

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn executives
many thanks, in my case could that be a leak from the radiator? and how many common problem does VN have, I fix the water pump, harmonic balancer, power steering boot and high pressure hose, what else, if there are too many I have to consider changing another one maybe a Falcon.

kas699

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn v8 5 speed commodore executive
i had a real main seal go in 2 v8 vn commodores i fixed them myself it was easy to do and only cost me $3.60 for parts to do but before i done it was quated 6 hours laboure which only bout 800 bucks it saves you in the long run cuase you dont have to keep puttin oil in it

andyli

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn executives
that is amazing, how could you fix it with only 3.6 bucks?