Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 auto vibrates in 3rd gear

mischf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive S2
Does anyone know why my car would vibrate in 3rd? 1st and 2nd are fine, then as soon as it goes into 3rd and i go above 60ks, the whole car starts to vibrate, and it gets worse the faster I go till I hit 4th, then it disappears (I 'tested' it up to 140 in 4th and there's no vibes). I think it is either the gearbox, or, at that speed, the ratio of flywheel rotations to driveshaft rotations is causing some kind of resonance....

??????

mischf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive S2
?????????????????

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
My V8 does the same thing, in 3rd only, it's worst under load at around 100-120 it's running smooth again somewhere before 180. I suspect it's the rubber mount at the back of the gearbox, I'll be replacing mine soon so I'll let you know it that fixed it

nathans1987

Reaction score
Website
4316.awardspace.com
Members Ride
VX SS 5.7L M6
i think its a common problem my mates does too. if its a speed thing its probably tailshaft. change oil see if that fixes it

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pajero LWB Wagon, Power/economy what's that ???
My car has now developed a shudder in third. It is very mild but I notice it though my wife does not.

Any news on the rubber mount replacement?

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I have the mount but haven't put it in yet, but the uni joints might be a bit worn too. It wont be far away :) (the mount)

andynogo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina V8 wagon
That loverly CV joint in the tailshaft can do all sorts of weird things too. Had to replace mine after it started to get a speed related vibration.

Ain't that cheap either!

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
I get a vibration in 3rd too. Always have, and never thought much of it... interesting.

somefool

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
1991 VN 'S', 1997 Ford Laser 1.6
THREAD DIG. I get the same thing now. It started doing it a week or so ago, only under medium acceleration.
I drive like a grandpa normallly but in traffic when i need to get to the speed limit a tad faster: 2000rpm and untill it shifts into 3rd i can hear this insane vibration and i can feel it through the accelerator. Once it's in 4th/overdrive/whetever it is it is fine and smooth again.
My boss said it was the synchros wearing out and that sooner or later the box will need a rebuild :(

have you guys fixed / figured it out since 2007? lol

Warranty Void

Take it apart? Me? No!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina LX V8
I have always had it, I've recently (this year) replaced the uni's, rebuilt the auto box, new torque converter, checked all the mounts for cracks/faults. Again, it's only in 3rd gear. I'm doing diff gears and diff re-race soon, but I don't think that's going to help.
If anyone sorted this thing out I'd love to know how.