Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP: Pulling the V6 out

The_Monk

[DFCTVE]
Reaction score
Website
www.teamdefecticon.com
Members Ride
VR Calais/Vr Stato/80 Series Cruiser
What needs to be disconnected for me to pull the motor? Has someone got a scanned part from a manual that could help me?

Cheers

samuels

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV XU6
What needs to be disconnected for me to pull the motor? Has someone got a scanned part from a manual that could help me?

Cheers

obviously if you don't want the tranny out,unbolt that,radiator hoses,heater hoses.any earth straps,battery positive lead,easiest way to disconnect all the wiring is unclip major wiring from ECU push the plastic tabs in and push/pull thru firewall.....sit wiring loom on top of motor,disconnect MAP wiring from its sensor,the on that is bolted to firewall(just unplug the wiring from that)if it has air con,just un bolt the compressor holding plate from motor and sit to the side (that way if you A/C is in good working condition,you don't have to un bolt lines and let your gas go ,etc,etc...:) you may have to hold your mouth right if you have big hands,to get in under the A/C compressor thats bolted right above the engine mount.....then just visually look before raising motor to make sure nothing else is attached to car from motor....thats about it...

The_Monk

[DFCTVE]
Reaction score
Website
www.teamdefecticon.com
Members Ride
VR Calais/Vr Stato/80 Series Cruiser
Thanks for that :D

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
From the book condensed to fit in one post.
1 Depressurise fuel system
2 Disconnect BatteryTerminals
3 Remove radiator cap loosen bottom radiator hose and drain into container . Remove top and bottom hoses and undo trans cooler lines at radiator .
4.Remove cooling fan assembly ....4 bolts and a wiring connector...could be a idea to remove radiator then so it cant be damaged
5.Drain engine oil.
6.Disconnect washer hose at l/h side of bonnet
7. With help support bonnet and remove struts at pivot on bonnet then remove hood bracket to hinge attaching bolts and remove bonnet.
8.Loosen rear heater hose clamps at engine and undo nut and release rear lifting bracket to hose securing clamp.
9.Loosen and take off the front heater hose near the steering pump.
10.Undo the wiring connectors near the fuse/relay box.
11. Remove neg terminal nut at inner guard and also take off positive feed wire at fusible link housing remove clip at fusible link bracket that supports harness.
12.Remove power steering hoses from back of power steering pump and drain oil into container.bracket to be undone on high pressure hose.
13.Take out wiring clip on intake duct at back and remove intake air duct elbow assembly by undoing large hose clamps on each end and stud to fender bracket nut.
14.Undo cruise bracket and cable if fitted and take cable off throttle body stud.Take off throttle cable also.
15.Loosen and take off fuel hoses at back of engine
16.Take off l/h kick panel and disconnect ecu connectors.
17.Undo map sensor wiring on firewall and push disconnected ecm wiring through firewall after releasing grommet and lay over engine protect in a plastic bag to stop ingress of dirt/grease etc.
18. Disconnect emission canister hoses at throttle body and unclip and lay away from engine.
19.Disconnect vacuum hoses at map sensor and throttle body.
20.Remove tailshaft from gearbox and drain gear box oil ....automatic will have to undo trans panbolts and drain into container
21.Undo each exhaust pipe at manifolds
22.Disconnect gear shift at gearbox or shifter/console inside cabin for manuals also manual cars disconnect clutch fork cable etc.
23.Disconnect wiring for transmission and oxygen sensor wiring near exhaust pipe.
24.Attach lifting hooks chains to brackets with some liting equipment(winch ,block and tackle etc)and raise engine slightly to take the weight.
25.Remove air con compressor and tie away from engine
26 Undo left and right engine mount to engine block bolts and mount to frame bolts and remove mount/bracket assemblies from engine.
27.Take out 2 steering rack to crossmember mounting bolts and take out input shaft coupling nut and bolt and pull steering rack away and clear from crossmember and let hang down on the tie rod ends.
28.Remove rear crossmember bolts and rear trans mount bolts .
28. Raise engine upwards supporting rear of gearbox so it doesnt drag on floor .
29.Raise higher giving attention to anything that might snag (Gear shifter, throttle body at firewall etc) and protecting wiring connectors ,hoses still attached to engine and remove engine /transmission assembly out of engine bay supporting rear at transmission and manovering around suspension crossmember as you go.

Last edited:

samuels

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV XU6
From the book condensed to fit in one post.
1 Depressurise fuel system
2 Disconnect BatteryTerminals
3 Remove radiator cap loosen bottom radiator hose and drain into container . Remove top and bottom hoses and undo trans cooler lines at radiator ..could be a idea to remove radiator then so it cant be damaged.
4.Remove cooling fan assembly ....4 bolts and a wiring connector.
5.Drain engine oil.
6.Disconnect washer hose at l/h side of bonnet
7. With help support bonnet and remove struts at pivot on bonnet then remove hood bracket to hinge attaching bolts and remove bonnet.
8.Loosen rear heater hose clamps at engine and undo nut and release rear lifting bracket to hose securing clamp.
9.Loosen and take off the front heater hose near the steering pump.
10.Undo the wiring connectors near the fuss/relay box.
11. Remove neg terminal nut at inner guard and take off positive feed wire at fusible link housing remove clip at fusible link bracket .
12.Remove power steering hoses from back of power steering pump and drain oil into container.bracket to be undone on high pressure hose.
13.Take out wiring clip on intake duct at back and remove air duct assembly by undoing clamps and stud to fender bracket.
14.Undo cruise bracket and cable if fitted and take cable off throttle body stud.Take off throttle cable also.
15.Loosen and take off fuel hoses at back of engine
16.Take off l/h kick panel and disconnect ecu connectors.
17.Undo map sensor wiring on firewall and push ecm wiring through firewall and lay over engine protect in a plastic bag etc.
18. Disconnect emission canister hoses at throttle body and unclip and lay away from engine.
19.Disconnect vacuum hoses at map sensor and throttle body.
20.Remove tailshaft from gearbox and drain gear oil undo
21.Undo each exhaust pipe at manifolds
22.Disconnect gear shift at gearbox or inside cabin for manuals also manual cars disconnect clutch fork.
23.Disconnect wiring for transmission and oxygen sensor wiring.
24.Attach hook and chains to brackets and raise engine slightly to take the weight.
25.Remove air con compressor and tie away from engine
26 Undo engine mount to engine block bolts and mount to frame bolts and remove mount/bracket assembly from engine.
27.Take out steering rack to crossmember mounting bolts and input shaft coupling and pull steering rack away from crossmember and let hang down on the tie rod ends.
28.Remove rear crossmember bolts and mount bolts .
28. Raise engine upwards supporting rear of gearbox so it doesnt drag on floor .
29.Raise higher giving attention to anything that might snag (Gear shifter, throttle body at firewall etc) and remove engine /transmission assembly out of engine bay supporting rear at transmission and manovering around suspension crossmember as you go.

LOL all that for my basic post....

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
LOL all that for my basic post.... good comeback

Says the same with more detail but we arent all rocket scientists like your good self

Last edited:

samuels

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV XU6
LOL all that for my basic post.... good comeback

Says the same with more detail but we arent all rocket scientists like your good self

ahhhh but i'm no rocket scientist,(just a retired motor mechanic)but you are right in saying all that,for helping some one out,i just thought that it would of been obvious without all the technical stuff :thumbsup:

VNCalais98K

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais no more
Dont do what i did once... i left the speedo cable hoked to the gearbox when i dropped the motor out...
broke the fitting and the speedo never worked afterwards (well it did slightly until i did a bit of a naughty one day and it stopped working..

Its funny to tell people you took off so fast from the lights that your speedo broke... haha.

Also watch out when disconnecting the fuel lines as this can get messy if the line is still pressurized.