Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

indicators flasher cans and led globes

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
ok, this has come up a few times before for various models.

i assumed vn/vp would be the same, but theyre not.

heres the deal:

vn runs led rear indicators and normals fronts, and the flasher can is the round style, the flash rate doesnt change from both normal globes, to one led, one normal, to both led, always the same constant rate.

im going to be using led's in both front and rear on the vp. now, did a few tests before, it uses the bigger rectangle flasher can.

normal globes are fine, stick one led and one normal in, it flashes like crazy, stick both leds in and it squeals.

now the fun bit, i stuck the flasher from the vn in, and it works with one led, one normal, but... its about twice as slow to flash as the vn does. and sticking both leds in, it doesnt flash at all.

so, either whats the added bit in a vp i can remove, or whats missing from the vp i can add, so it works properly with the vn flasher can, coz i dont want to mess with load resistors.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
ok, quick update, the vn flasher needs at least one globe to work per side. but it is still slow in the vp, which is the big problem. i could get away with using the phantom globes in the front, but still need to get the speed right on the vp

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
guessing the leds arent drawing enough current that it was designed to work with.. could wire in a lamp holder in the boot for a lamp to be wired in so u still have the load there, and hide the lamp in a box or behind the carpet maybe.. i can remeber this was teh only solution with out too much mucking round.. could maybe throw in a bigger resistor in the mix but not too big that the leds wont glow enough

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
yeh, didnt want to do that really, but i think ive found a solution.

68245BL Blister Pack
12 Volt 3 Pin Electronic L.E.D Flasher
Suitable for L.E.D indicator lamps. Operates at ultra low current of 1mA (0.02 watts) or higher currents to a maximum of 2.5 amps per side (30 watts) where a mix of L.E.D and incandescent globes might be used.

led flasher can, should do the job, just gotta find out a price

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
ok, got a price for them, between $25 and 30 retail they should be, unless being for leds they decide to add more markup.

narva do a range of different led flasher cans aswell, and this eliminates the need for a load resistor.

www.narva.com.au

these can be had at autobarn, repco, supercheap(i think), and most auto stores.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
hahah and if it still flashes like a mofo? the joys of playing with cars

hopefully it fixes the prob..

thought: is it a old flasher type? or digital coz the newer ones u can buy dont rely on globe currents n stuff, they'll just flash as per normal even if a glove is blown.. maybe worth looking into before buyin the led flashers..

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
theres a few different types, the one in the vp is load sensing, the one im getting isnt load sensing, flashes the same from 1ma to 2.5a. should be ok,will find out in a day or 2 when it arrives

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
ok, update, got the flasher the other day, works a treat, has a nice constant flash rate using al led indicator globes.

this would be a good alternative to load resistors for anyone wanting to use led globes in their cars. only catch is it doesnt know when a globes gone(which if theyre led's, should be almost never)

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
good news :)

is there any markings or can u let us know the type?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
yeh, didnt want to do that really, but i think ive found a solution.

68245BL Blister Pack
12 Volt 3 Pin Electronic L.E.D Flasher
Suitable for L.E.D indicator lamps. Operates at ultra low current of 1mA (0.02 watts) or higher currents to a maximum of 2.5 amps per side (30 watts) where a mix of L.E.D and incandescent globes might be used.

led flasher can, should do the job, just gotta find out a price

This one that he mentioned.