Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Crank Angle Sensor. WHY??

Chuff

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
In a VP 5L engine the distributor used is a High Energy Ignition - Electronic Spark Time (HEI-EST).

It is located at the Rear of the Valley.

The Distributor distributes the High Voltage Spark and contains the Crank Angle Sensor.

The Crank Angle Sensor is a Hall Effect Sensor.

Could someone please explain what purpose the Crank Angle Sensor has in a 5.0L VP engine.

It doesn't have a coil pack, or sequential injection, so what's the point? :confused: What does the ECU do with this information, if anything at all?

The reason I ask is I'm trying to ascertain whether or not the installation of the distributor should take into account the Crank Angle Sensor setting.

Thanks!

CATCH! ;)

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
so the spark happens at the correct time...
think of it as a modern type of points cam, (also a crank angle sensor of sorts)
Rob

Chuff

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
Doctor Bob said:
so the spark happens at the correct time...
think of it as a modern type of points cam, (also a crank angle sensor of sorts)
Rob

Doctor Bob,

So the Crank Angle Sensor in the dizzy does nothing more than tell the ECU when to dump the spark from the coil. Is this correct?

Thanks.

CATCH! ;)

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
That's about it Chuff, the cas on a system like your V8 will send cylinder position and RPM to the ECU. The difference is that it'll also fire the coil. As far as I know the cas doesn't require tuning as such because it is timing dependant.

Chuff

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
OSL-060 said:
That's about it Chuff, the cas on a system like your V8 will send cylinder position and RPM information to the ECU. The difference is that it'll also fire the coil. As far as I know the cas doesn't require tuning such because it is timing dependant.

Cool!

Thankyou all for answering my question.

CATCH! ;)